• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

DX9 to DX11 convert, getting a warning, Index buffer has not enough space!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 JBurnside   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hello,

I have been converting a rendering system from using DX9 to DX11. At this point, everything I am currently testing is visually working. Unfortunately I am getting a DX API warning, "D3D11: WARNING: ID3D11DeviceContext::DrawIndexed: Index buffer has not enough space! [ EXECUTION WARNING #359: DEVICE_DRAW_INDEX_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL ]"

I have found that getting this warning depends on the meshes I am loading, and what order they are loaded in. If I load meshes, A, B, C in that order I get the issue when I render B or C. Mesh A appears to be the cause as anything loaded after it will cause a call to DrawIndexed to give that warning. From the warning I would think I am somehow requesting to draw using more indices than our present, but this does not appear to be the case. All three meshes use the same index and vertex buffers. If I load mesh A's vertices but not indices the issue remains, but if I load mesh A's indices but not vertices the issue goes away.

I am setting the vertex and index buffers to be used for rendering per shader, then per object calling DrawIndexed using a start vertex and start index. Here are some snippets of the rendering code:

Per shader -

UINT stride = sizeof(VERTEX_POSNORMTANTEX);

UINT offset = 0;

ID3D11Buffer *const vertexBufferPtr =

VertexBufferManager::GetReference().GetPosNormTanTexBuffer().GetVertexBuffer();

Renderer::theContextPtr->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 1, &vertexBufferPtr, &stride, &offset);

Renderer::theContextPtr->IASetIndexBuffer(IndexBuffer::GetReference().GetIndices(), DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, 0);

Per Object -

// Assuming we are using triangle lists for now

Renderer::theContextPtr->DrawIndexed(mesh.GetPrimitiveCount() * 3, mesh.GetStartIndex(), mesh.GetStartVertex());

I have found a work around but it does not seem like a good way to do things as it requires setting the index buffer per object. The following code will get rid of the issue:

Per Object -

Renderer::theContextPtr->IASetIndexBuffer(IndexBuffer::GetReference().GetIndices(), DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, mesh.GetStartIndex() * 4);

// Assuming we are using triangle lists for now

Renderer::theContextPtr->DrawIndexed(mesh.GetPrimitiveCount() * 3, 0, mesh.GetStartVertex());

Mesh A is some test geometry that I have been using for years with OGL, DX9 and now DX11 projects, so I feel it is unlikely, but not impossible, that there is something wrong with the data. I can recreate the issue with some other meshes that worked with the DX9 version as well. All my vertices and indices are copied into vector containers until I am down loading then I create the index and vertex buffers based on this data.

I have discovered that I can hard code the "mesh.GetPrimitiveCount()" to return 0, so nothing is drawn and I still get the warning.

Here are the snippets of how I create my index buffer:

For each load -

UINT IndexBuffer::AddIndices(UINT startVert, const UINT *_indices, UINT _numIndices)
{

// Test if this buffer has already been finalized

assert(!indexBufferPtr);

size_t ret = indices.size();

// Implement a solution for the Renderer Lab

for(size_t i = 0; i < _numIndices; ++i)

indices.push_back(_indices[i]);// + startVert);

return (UINT)ret;

}
The return is the StartIndexLocation for this particular mesh.

When I am done loading assets -

void IndexBuffer::Finalize()
{

D3D11_BUFFER_DESC ibd;

ibd.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_IMMUTABLE;

ibd.ByteWidth = sizeof(UINT) * (UINT)indices.size();

ibd.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_INDEX_BUFFER;

ibd.CPUAccessFlags = 0;

ibd.MiscFlags = 0;

ibd.StructureByteStride = 0;

D3D11_SUBRESOURCE_DATA iinitData;

iinitData.pSysMem = &indices[0];

HR(Renderer::theDevicePtr->CreateBuffer(&ibd, &iinitData, &indexBufferPtr));

// Do not need to keep a local copy of indices

testSize = indices.size();

indices.clear();

}

I have a vertex buffer class that works the same way except for being a template to handle different input layouts. An instance of the vertex buffer class is made for each unique vertex layout. In my example mesh A, B and C all use the same vertex buffer.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS