• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

How to begin with limited resources?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 meliegreeFPM   Members   -  Reputation: 96

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi there!

How to begin graphic/game programming with very limited resources? I know that the thing i want to do is making graphic engines and programming GPU but problem is that in my country books about that subject doesnt exist. There is no DirectX books and books about OpenGL was written in 2005-2008. About GPU programming i can buy only "CUDA by example". That same thing about C++ - one good book, but there is no comparision to my personal favorite "C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures" .
Another problem is language - i understand english when i read, but technical english is little to hard so i need simple books OR well written with examples.

So my resources are very limited and i dont know what to do? What books should i buy by amazon? (problem - $30 = one day of my work so i must be sure that book i wish to buy is worth that kind of money). Programming and graphic is very hard subject, not to mention situation when you must learn from the language that you know little. But i like that and i love solving problems - i can spend 12 hours working with english documentation and trying to figure it out and im happy.

Can you help me? Give some tips/book hints for graphic programming? How to start with that? Now im somewhere at concept of class in C++ and i think that is great time to start playing with something bigger that console.

I want to learn everything in that order:

c++ -> winApi -> directX(assembler/cuda at same moment).

That is list of my books, that i already have:
- C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures
- Windows System Programming (4th edition)
- Game Engine Architecture
- Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10
- Graphic programming - black book (old but great)

Sorry for my english - i can read and i understand almost everything in that language but i can't write and i hate web translators.

Edited by meliegreeFPM, 15 July 2012 - 09:14 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2601

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

You can learn how to use the API's from the internet, and many techniques too, but a book will probably tell you how to do it properly and have tons of good tips and extra info all in the same package.

So you can learn using only the internet, but make sure the stuff isnt deprecated or too old. You can get a book later when you already know the basics (and learn related terminology in the process) i think.

o3o

#3 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2601

2Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Oh and you probably shouldnt go too deep into winapi, because youll most likely use stuff that hides all the winapi stuff. Maybe just look into it so you know how it works and then get some library to do windowing and start messing with graphics apis.

o3o

#4 meliegreeFPM   Members   -  Reputation: 96

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, but main problem is that internet is powerfull source of knowledge. I can find almost everything that i want and i need, sure. But how beginner can separate garbage from diamond? One website for example say to always use
using namespace std;

instead of
using std::cout;
using std::cin;
that i prefer. Which one is correct?

I know that i can learn from web, but i dont want to losse my time for future re-learning things that was not correct.

#5 Shikamaru   Members   -  Reputation: 129

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, but main problem is that internet is powerfull source of knowledge. I can find almost everything that i want and i need, sure. But how beginner can separate garbage from diamond? One website for example say to always use

using namespace std;

instead of

I know that i can learn from web, but i dont want to losse my time for future re-learning things that was not correct.

There is no correct way here i prefer
using namespace std;
but u like the other way its all about personal choice.

as for books try a C++ primer they are usually packed with info

Edited by Shikamaru, 15 July 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#6 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1467

1Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

using namespace std;

instead of

The ones that use the using directive (e.g., "using namespace std;") instead of using declaration (e.g., "using std::cout;") might come from a legacy codebase (ported from C, pre-standard C++ before 1998, etc.). Generally, this is not a good practice due to namespace pollution. See: http://www.gotw.ca/p..._namespaces.htm

Edited by Matt-D, 15 July 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#7 Acotoz   Members   -  Reputation: 73

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Programmin

using namespace std;

instead of

Programmers are like musicians, bro, everyone has their own style. Your duty is to learn the basics and then you will decide which one to use, thus creating your programming style.

I personally use

[source lang="cpp"]using namespace std;[/source]

#8 kunos   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2207

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

I always suggest the OpenGL Programming Guide (aka the "red" book) as the best introduction to 3D programming. It won't take you through the the fast paths or the most updated techniques but it will provide you a solid base to then go on just by following more specific tutorials.
Stefano Casillo
Lead Programmer
TWITTER: @KunosStefano
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

#9 King Mir   Members   -  Reputation: 2032

1Likes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Speaking from experience, a book is orders of magnitude better than online tutorials. I used to think I knew C++ pretty well from online sources, then I read a book on it and learned how wrong I was. If you can't get a physical book, try to find an e-book.

Here's a link to a listing of free online programming books. I can't speak to the quality of any of the books, but it's a place to start.

#10 TMKCodes   Members   -  Reputation: 271

0Likes

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

I think your problem is not that you do not have available resources, but the problem is that you do not know where to find them.

There are legal ways and illegal ways, but you can get basically every required information from the web legally from tutorials others have written, but the quality of these might not be the best. If you want good books amazon is your place. If you can not order from amazon find someone who can and can mail the book to you. Then you basically have access to most commercial programming literature.

One suggestion I have is that you start working on your English and the best way is to use it, more and more. I am not Native English user and at school I always barely passed the English exams, but I have learned to use the language because of finding grammar Nazi Internet friends. Even now I am not sure if my sentences are correctly formed or even the words.

The best place you can find information for learning C++ and graphics programming is college which teaches it. If one is not at your area then make forth and go where is. College is great because you can find like minded people easily and possibly start some projects with them.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS