• Create Account

Negative Value in Texture using GL_SHORT

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 happymonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have a question about the "type" parameters in function glTexImage2D. Since my original texture data is "short" and has negative value, I use Gl_SHORT first. But, it seems that the negative value in shader is clamped to zero. My solution is: first map the "short" to "unsigned short". Then, inside the shader, map the value back. This solution works.

My question is:

If GL_SHORT can only represent the value between [0, 32767] when the negative value is clamped, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT with range [0, 65535] would be better choice at any cases, right? not just GL_SHORT but also GL_INT.

Is there some way I can pass the negative value without mapping to positive into the shader?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsor:

#2 Brother Bob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7902

1Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

There are some ambiguities in your post that should be cleared up. First, a GL_SHORT type can hold negative values. It is not restricted to positive values. However, when converting an integer color value to a color of type GLclamp (the normal [0, 1] range for low dynamic range color), it maps integer 0 to 0.0, and the maximum possible integer value to 1.0. So a GL_SHORT can only represent low dynamic range coor values in the range [0, 32k]. It can store negative values, but they are all mapped to color value 0.

So don't confuse clamped color values and GL_SHORT and its ability to store negative values.

The key here is to store color values in a format that is not clamped. I am not sure at the moment, but I think it is enought o change the internal format to either an integer format or a floating point format. For example, the internal format GL_RGBA32F should make a non-clamped RGBA floating point texture, or GL_RGBA16I for a 16-bit signed integer texture.

Edited by Brother Bob, 15 July 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#3 happymonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

To Brother Bob,

Thanks for clarification. It is very helpful.

For GL_SHORT, although it can store negative value, if these values are clamped, it will become meaningless, right? I just wonder whether there are some reasons for GL_SHORT's existence, or we can just leave it there for future support.

GL_RGBA32F may cost too much memory for me. I try GL_RGB16I, but it output nothing. Is there something wrong about my usage. I use like this:
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB16I, _dim[0], _dim[1], 0, GL_RGB, GL_SHORT, _vel);

Again, Thanks

#4 Brother Bob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7902

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

The values are clamped if they are converted to a clamped color format. So you have to go a route that doesn't clamp the color values. The existance of GL_SHORT is simply so that you can pass 16-bit signed values to various functions.

If you use an integer format or a floating point format, you have to treat the values as such as well. For example, if you write a floating point color value as the output fom the fragment shader, it will be clamped to [0, 1], and an integer format may have to be normalized to the [0, 1] range (divide by 215) since they are read as integers and not clamped low dynamic range color values in a shader.

#5 happymonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks very much. I think I get the idea.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS