• Create Account

Name for Open Source Game Platform?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 naf456   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hey their.
Currently working on a project trying to introduce a Linux based Operating system for game consoles and media centers (something simular to XMBC)
Anyway, I just wanted to name the project something.
I'm currently working on creating a basic linux system, then building a custom window manager based around HQ's and then build a user frame work and writing some api for games and stuff. All good.

Anyway, just need a name?

here are some I've come up with :
Lumbella
Rocket
RocketLolly
Nuke
GameFrame
Photon
Hadron
Electron
Paris
Las Vagas
Nitrogen
Diamond
Zyborg
LegOfLamb
Thor
etc....
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
—Will Rogers

Sponsor:

#2 naf456   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Malamute (type of dog)
Titantium (Type of transitional metal (Tough but very light))
Bazuka (type of heavy weapon (typo deliberate))

Edited by naf456, 15 July 2012 - 05:25 PM.

—Will Rogers

#3 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8178

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Most of these names are sort of random and meaningless. Just give it a default code name (something easy to remember and meaningful like LinuxPad or something) until you are finished developing it, then brainstorm for a week to get the final name once you actually have your product ready.

Choosing a name before making the product is a waste of time.

Edited by Bacterius, 15 July 2012 - 07:18 PM.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#4 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

How about "DOA"?
[See some of My Projects] - [Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github]

#5 naf456   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

Haha - It was nothing serious - just a little project, I didn't think I could change the game industry with it or anything. Posted Image
I just wanted Game Platforms to be more open to developers, and more standardized.
Kinda an Android but for game consoles. (alot of people use Android for the purpose, but I believe it's just too general purpose.)
I'm currently following Linux From scratch - A book describing the main libraries and services required to build a linux distro.
I am studying ECCCM and EWMH, and different open source windows managers, along with XCB - a lighter X11 replacement.

I want to promote Linux - I believe it's infinitely more superior over Windows.

Again, the idea is to build an operating system that can be deployed onto hardware, which hosts a platform for gamer's and developers a like.
And on the business side of things , gets sponsorship out to companies who want to distribute it on their hardware.

A little overenthusiastic? Maybe - but if your going to aim to achieve something out of a project- why not aim huge?
Also, it's possible , Ubuntu , Mint , OpenSUSE , etc is all proof of that Posted Image
—Will Rogers

#6 naf456   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'm sticking with Titanium - Light but Tough.
And anyway- what does 'Steam' have to do with Video Games?
And also it means I won't have to keep modifying Documentation and API if I had changed the name later on.

Edited by naf456, 16 July 2012 - 03:59 AM.

—Will Rogers

#7 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8178

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

I'm sticking with Titanium - Light but Tough.
And anyway- what does 'Steam' have to do with Video Games?
And also it means I won't have to keep modifying Documentation and API if I had changed the name later on.

"Steam" is meaningful because it reminds of the company (Valve, Steam... get it? Posted Image). Of course names don't have to mean anything but you still want them to be short and memorable.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#8 wack   Members   -  Reputation: 1229

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Of your suggestions, RocketLolly is of course the best one.

#9 naf456   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Are you being sarky? or do you generally think it is a good name? - I like rocket lollies, and thought it was quirky, however not serious enough to be taken - well - seriously.
I suppose, like I said, it's not a serious project in the first place.
Hmm....

RocketLolly...

I'm hungry. Posted Image
—Will Rogers

#10 taby   Members   -  Reputation: 335

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

"LegOfLamb"

Is that a QOTSA reference? :)

My vote's for RocketLolly too.

#11 naf456   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

The Final name? Dynamite....

A friend of mine liked it so much that he even made a logo:

http://postimage.org/image/t4j0gn4q5/

BTW : No - no reference to the band - just thought a random thought.

Edited by naf456, 25 July 2012 - 06:37 PM.

—Will Rogers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS