• Create Account

java books

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 dajiandbun   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

i recently bought ivor hortons java tutorial book and its a little too hard for me still so i bought java for dummies 9 in one book and im getting the hang of it. i want to get into game programming so i had to start somewhere lol. what good tutorials or books are there that can direct me more towards programming games?

Sponsor:

#2 Captacha   Members   -  Reputation: 141

1Likes

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

You should probably learn the language before you start programming games. I liked the Sam's Teach yourself Java in 24 Hours book. As for a good book on game programming, I've never really seen one. I just use the internet and look up tutorials for OpenGL, Collision Detection, AI, ect.
EDIT: GD.NET puts links for books on the side of the page. Most of these are fairly popular; Maybe look at some reviews.

Edited by Captacha, 15 July 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#3 J-dog   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

I have to second that response... you kinda have to take things one step at a time because game programming can be very involved and you may really frustrate yourself if you jump the gun there - especially if you're new to coding.

I think for this reason, there aren't really many books on programming games... well I mean, I could suggest some, but all of them are on an intermediate - advanced level in terms of code.

So my suggestion is to just learn the basics, but have fun with them - what I mean is, be creative and start to make small games as you can - maybe start with a text-based game and then gradually move up from there. I find then when learning any skill, it's good to put what you've learnt into practice sooner rather than later so you don't get caught in the technicalities. It's also just nice to experience some application for yourself outside of textbook examples.

Oh, and have fun. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS