• Create Account

Need instant help with my servers/site

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Combo   Members   -  Reputation: 175

0Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hello there!

My site yesterday was a victim of a DrDOS attack for some odd reason.

They were attacking from the port 80 up until i blocked it. Same for the http.
Blocking that port, my whole website becomes off line.

My game servers were also attacked but they are up and running but very slow.

What can be done to protect my VPS and my game servers from getting "hacked" like this?

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Gaming At Heart!

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4539

1Likes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

I assume you mean DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) and not Dr-DOS :-)

What can be done to protect my VPS and my game servers from getting "hacked" like this?

1) Don't piss off players. Problem is, the kind of players who are childish enough to rent a botnet are sometimes easy to piss off. Often, a game operator will ban players because they are bad actors (fraudsters, griefers, etc,) and then they retaliate.
2) Buy a really big data pipe into your website. Problem is, trying to provision upstream so you can survive a 50 Gbps attack costs a lot of money.
3) Be proactive about detection. Establish relations with your ISP chain before you need it. When you find a problem, call upstream, and have the problem traffic squelched closer to the source.
4) Buy DDOS mitigation services from a company like DOSarrest, Neustar, Verisign, etc. This costs money as well, but probably less than having to over-provision your bandwidth 24/7.

Edited by hplus0603, 16 July 2012 - 10:16 AM.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS