• Create Account

Dual AMD or Single INTEL?????

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lurking   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 09 October 2001 - 03:49 PM

Currently i am building a new computer w/ some parts of my old one i am using now. I am running currently a p3 600mhz, geforce3, 10x DVDROM, 12x burner. Now that i am building a new computer i am thinking about what things i should get. Well here is what i am between. A Duel AMD MP 1.2ghz or a Singlechip intel p4 2.0ghz? I have no idea. I love programming with opengl and love gaming. I want to know what i should pick? Please post your comments... Thanx! - Lurking

Sponsor:

#2 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 09 October 2001 - 04:07 PM

A single top-of-the-line AMD chip will beat a P4 in most applications. I don''t know why you''d buy a dual processor board unless you wanted to show off . Of course, the dual board would cost the same as the P4 and RDRAM, heh. But, in the end, you don''t REALLY need anything that powerful for programming.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 10 October 2001 - 02:54 AM

quote:
Original post by Null and Void
A single top-of-the-line AMD chip will beat a P4 in most applications. I don''t know why you''d buy a dual processor board unless you wanted to show off . Of course, the dual board would cost the same as the P4 and RDRAM, heh. But, in the end, you don''t REALLY need anything that powerful for programming.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

As a matter of fact, a dual processor won''t show much benefit in most games, since they pretty much have to be written multithreaded with multiprocessors in mind to show much benefit.

It''ll make your compiles go faster, though.

I''d probably get one of the new AMD XP 1800''s if I were buying a processor right now.

#4 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 October 2001 - 03:24 AM

Amen on the AMD 1.8s. Dual processors machines are not twice as fast a single processor machines with identical CPU speeds. Dual processors allow for twice as much concurrent processing, the thought is, i don''t process instructions twice as fast, but now I have two CPUs to do instructions at the same time. And as Anonymous Ho said, you aren''t going to notice a difference on any one single application unless it is specifically written to take advantage of Symetrical Multi-Processing (SMP). Get an SMP machine if you are going to develop on it, run an e-commerce website with an Oracle DB, a mail server, an ftp server... basically saturate your network connection with server traffic, otherwise get a single CPU machine.

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 10 October 2001 - 03:35 AM

quote:
Original post by Lurking
Currently i am building a new computer w/ some parts of my old one i am using now. I am running currently a p3 600mhz, geforce3, 10x DVDROM, 12x burner. Now that i am building a new computer i am thinking about what things i should get. Well here is what i am between. A Duel AMD MP 1.2ghz or a Singlechip intel p4 2.0ghz? I have no idea. I love programming with opengl and love gaming. I want to know what i should pick? Please post your comments... Thanx!

- Lurking

I built a computer for a friend and used a AMD chip (Duron 800) it gave me nothing but trouble. When I sent it back and got an Intel chip of the same speed I had almost not trouble.

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 10 October 2001 - 05:28 AM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

I built a computer for a friend and used a AMD chip (Duron 800) it gave me nothing but trouble. When I sent it back and got an Intel chip of the same speed I had almost not trouble.

And I bought a Celeron processor and it gave me trouble. What''s your point? You probably bent the pins or something while you were putting it in.

#7 GKW   Members   -  Reputation: 200

Posted 10 October 2001 - 07:01 AM

If you plan on using Java at all I would go with the dualie.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

#8 Greven   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 10 October 2001 - 07:39 AM

Here is the question everyone missed. What OS are you running? If your running a 9x, don't bother with the dualie. 9x platforms don't support it. Your system will have the two processors, but your OS will only see one. Now if your going to be running NT/2K/FP then it will take advantage of it. Things like Photoshop for example scream with 2 procs. Things like 3DS Max make you question why you ever had only one proc.
The other question I would have for you would be why would you only consider a multi-proc AMD and a single-proc Intel? I don't even consider Intel anymore. Period. I have a 1 GHz Thunderbird and it out performs most 1.2/3 GHz P4's. Why go back?
Also, someone mentioned an AMD 1.8 proc. Just to clarify, that is not 1.8 GHz, that is a 1.53 GHz that is rated at *at least* 1800 MHz pentium scale. It's AMD way of showing that AMD kicks Intels a$$
One more thing. When I mentioned what OS's support multi-proc, I don't have a typo. I don't call Windows XP by it's given name. To anyone who has seen/used it, they will understand. I call it Windows FP (Fisher Price).

Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.

Edited by - Greven on October 10, 2001 2:42:46 PM

#9 GalaxyQuest   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 October 2001 - 08:07 AM

Personally I found the title funny. I think it sould be called "Should i buy a Dual Intel or Single AMD Thunderbird??"

hahah. Dont even bring up 800mhz durons when that technology is totally outdated u lamer. Todays AMD thunderbirds are wonderfull. I was a pentium guy, but i got this 1.4ghz AMD thunderbird chip and its absolutely wonderful.

Therefore, my opinion is go single processor with AMD. Intel has finally got some competition!

#10 ncsu121978   Members   -  Reputation: 444

Posted 10 October 2001 - 08:17 AM

windows xp is VERY childish looking. I had it on mym system for about 2 days before i reformatted and went back to win 2k which kicks much ass

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T

#11 WayfarerX   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 10 October 2001 - 08:23 AM

I''ve got a dual and even though it doesn''t do much for playing games, developing on it absolutely rocks. The computer can actually do two things at once instead of just pretending to.

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS