• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Implementing a basic FPS bot

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 R1cochet   Members   -  Reputation: 220

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

I want to implement a fps bot for my Artificial Intelligence project. What would be the best engine/framework to create this in since i want to concentrate on the AI code only without worrying about other details like the graphics and animation. I have looked at Unity and UDK as possible candidates. The main question is that are there art assets available for these engines that I can directly use in my project like maps and characters.

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31017

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Have you considered writing a bot as a mod for a game, instead of from a kit like Unity/UDK?
e.g. if you mod an Unreal Engine game that has a modding SDK, then it will likely similar to the UDK (seeing the UDK is just a free Unreal Engine), but with a FPS game's assets and game rules ready to go.

Edited by Hodgman, 17 July 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#3 R1cochet   Members   -  Reputation: 220

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

I have considered modding using the Source SDK as well but i wanted to use this project as a learning experience for an engine like UDK. I am also considering open source alternatives like Panda3D. As i have said before the main constraint is the availabiity of the resources needed for this project.

Edited by R1cochet, 17 July 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#4 IADaveMark   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2510

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I also would recommend using some existing game that allows for creating bots. The distractions of dealing with exactly the things you mentioned can be overwhelming and force you to learn/hone skills that aren't directly related to what you are trying to accomplish (AI).
Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC

Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Co-founder of the AI Game Programmers Guild
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS