• Create Account

[DX11] Raycast terrain or triangle mesh with LOD

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Martin Perry   Members   -  Reputation: 496

0Likes

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

I have read several articles on this toppic. Even here on gamedev. Someone says that geometry based terrain is better, someone otherwise. What is better on currect (DX11) HW ? Render terrain as geometry or as ray-traced with PS writing depth ?

I want terrain with shadows and I am using deferred rendering, so anti-aliasing is not quite issue, because I need to deal with it manually eitherway.
Currently, I am using LOD (geo-mip-mapping), but number of draw calls per terrain is quite large (each block is rendered with its own draw-call). So it makes about 40 calls per frame. I could done it with one draw, but it needs to update IB every (almost) frame, if movements are fast enough.
Moving to raycasting should deal with all of this problems and also add fine detail, with usage of parallax (or other technique). I have experiences with voxel-ray-casting, which is fast enough. So I think, that ray-casted terrain should be faster (plus there is usually no transparency needed), than geometry based one.

What are your opinions ? Posted Image
Thaks...

Edited by Martin Perry, 19 July 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS