• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Where can i find open source games using DirectX?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyBoy53   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

I was planning on studying some game code from some open source games but I can't seem to find any that uses DirectX. The ones i found are mostly using Opengl with SDL. I am looking for a 2D platformer to study before i try and start a project on my own to become familiar with the code.

I was planning on learning Opengl, but i am just learning DirectX and feel that i need to get more projects under my belt to become comfortable with it before moving on to either Opengl or C#. If anyone can point me in the direction or just name off the top which open source Direct X9 games are available, i would be thankful. Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6169

0Likes

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

This is a very tricky question, DirectX is not a popular API in the opensource communities (as it doesn't work with any opensource platform).

I think darwinia had a DirectX renderer aswell as the OpenGL one so it might be worth a look, in general however reading the code for complete games is not a great way to learn.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 Tsus   Members   -  Reputation: 1048

0Likes

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi!

There is a platformer starter kit for XNA, which is based on DirectX 9. And here is the old documentation to it. Perhaps there is a similar documentation for the latest version of XNA, I haven't seen it.

Whether you use OpenGL or DirectX doesn’t really matter, since they both are quite similar. Once you learned one, you’ll quickly learn the other.

If you know C++, you will easily understand C# code, so that platformer starter kit might be worth a look.
Have some fun with it. Posted Image
Best regards

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS