• Create Account

Starting with game development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vibeth   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Hello there,

I'd like to start diving into game development. I already have experience with languages such as C, C#, Delphi, VB, Python, Java, but I mostly work on business apps, which is what I also do for a living. I have no experience in 3d modeling or any graphics part of games, really.

Some time ago I started looking for suitable game engines/SDKs for me to work with and start the game from "scratch" (apart from the engine part of course). I tried Unity, UDK and Esenthel but I realized that I should first try to do something smaller, eg. do a mod for a game, to get the feeling on how games work and the general flow of them.

So I started looking for games that are relatively easy to mod, have good SDKs and good tutorials/documentation. I stumbled upon Source SDK (Half Life 2).

Would Source SDK be a good place to start? How much freedom does Source SDK allow, can I only tinker a bit with the already done games (like only changing the models or weapon stats) or would I be able to make my own, small, Half-Life 2 -like game with my own mechanics and features in time?

Any general tips or your own recommendations on how to start?

Any reply is welcome,

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 miicchhii   Members   -  Reputation: 212

2Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

You should probably start on simple 2D games to get behind the logics,
and then go on to 3D when you know how the logic works.

#3 Vibeth   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

Anything more specific? Where should I start with 2D games?

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5465

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Anything more specific? Where should I start with 2D games?

Yeah, read this.

#5 Shawn Greer   Members   -  Reputation: 148

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Vibeth,

I can't take credit for it, but the article here lays out a good path toward developing games. It talks about a lot of important things and can serve as a good guide.

Shawn

#6 dysoco   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'd go with Python so you learn a bit more about programming and game logic with Pygame.
Then move to something you like more.

Edited by dysoco, 20 July 2012 - 11:26 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS