• Create Account

Where Should I Start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Burkhart   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have been trying to learn C++ language for some time now, but I have had trouble deciding where I should start. By where I should start I mean what are good steps to take in order to master the C++ language. If anyone has some good advice it will be greatly appreciated Posted Image .

Sponsor:

#2 Shawn Greer   Members   -  Reputation: 148

1Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Danny,

Your question is a bit open ended so hard to answer, especially as there are so many different ways to answer it. The best (although generic) answer is to find a way to learn it while keeping yourself motivated. That in itself can be a big challenge.

With that in mind, I'd reccomend taking a look at the C++ workshop that was run here. While the actual workshop itself was conducted some time ago, all of the material is still here on Gamedev and still relevant.

You can find the forum section for it here,
and there introduction is here

It does require a text be purchased, but on Amazon you can get it for less then $10 used, or for $20 on Kindle.

I didn't take the C++ workshop, but I did do a large percentage of the C# workshop, which looked to mirror it with regard to the projects, etc.

Is this the best first step? Maybe not. But I don't think it's a bad one.

Shawn

#3 Danny Burkhart   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Danny,

Your question is a bit open ended so hard to answer, especially as there are so many different ways to answer it. The best (although generic) answer is to find a way to learn it while keeping yourself motivated. That in itself can be a big challenge.

With that in mind, I'd reccomend taking a look at the C++ workshop that was run here. While the actual workshop itself was conducted some time ago, all of the material is still here on Gamedev and still relevant.

You can find the forum section for it here,
and there introduction is here

It does require a text be purchased, but on Amazon you can get it for less then $10 used, or for $20 on Kindle.

I didn't take the C++ workshop, but I did do a large percentage of the C# workshop, which looked to mirror it with regard to the projects, etc.

Is this the best first step? Maybe not. But I don't think it's a bad one.

Shawn

Thank you I will defiantly look into that, and to clarify the question a bit more, I am basically looking for a good guide to help learn C++. Once again thanks this is what I wanted.

#4 TMKCodes   Members   -  Reputation: 271

2Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

You learn the language by programming solutions to small challenges and small projects. Use language features and techniques you have not learned yet in those practice tasks. Force yourself to complete them without trying to find quick solutions to the problems you might encounter. If you run into a wall come to us with your problem and we will try to give you some ideas how to solve your problem.

Generally I find topics like these are from people who might not get anywhere as programmers when they seem not to have any idea what they should do, but even I seem to reply to these because some of you become masters, but that takes thousands of hours of writing code. I do not consider myself as a master of anything even though I learned some basics of programming before I actually learned to write and read. Since then I have been programming every year more and more, since I have come to understand new techniques to solve something and have become able to think solutions to many things.

So write code, write it more and once you can actually write code and use the language features learn to read code of other people by reading their code. From other peoples code you can pick up easily techniques you do not yet know because you do not understand what the code actually does.

Doing your craft and stealing from others is the way to mastery.

Then again when the hell one is master programmer? Once you get the respect of others for programming great project or once you think you know that you can do everything even if you do not know everything.

#5 R1cochet   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

If you mean a good book then i highly recommend C++ primer plus 6th edition as a beginners book. It's very well written in my opinion and after reading through this one you would have a firm grasp on the language.

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-Edition-Developers-Library/dp/0321776402

#6 miicchhii   Members   -  Reputation: 212

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

you should have a look at http://cplusplus.com/ , they offer good tutorials

#7 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1410

0Likes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html
http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#learning

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS