• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Unexpected behavior with ALT-TAB in Fullscreen Mode (DXGI)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZBethel   Members   -  Reputation: 582

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I am setting my DirectX11 application to run in fullscreen mode when I create the swap chain. This works fine until I ALT-TAB to minimize. All it does is undo the fullscreen mode and place the window in the background (i.e. not minimized, just a background window). Maximizing the window or refocusing the window doesn't cause it to switch back to fullscreen mode. Does DXGI expect me to do something that I'm not? I've read the MSDN documentation online and it doesn't explain how to handle this case.

Thanks.

Edited by ZBethel, 22 July 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 mark ds   Members   -  Reputation: 1387

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

ALT-TAB doesn't minimise anything. It simply swaps focus from one window to another.

If that other window isn't using fullscreen mode, Windows HAS to go into non-fullscreen mode - it has no choice.

When your app gets foreground status it's up to you to do whatever is necessary (ie switching back to fullscreen mode).

#3 ZBethel   Members   -  Reputation: 582

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, coming from DirectX 9.0 and Windows XP, I'm pretty sure ALT-TAB would always minimize a fullscreen application no matter what. The behavior I described seems normal, and I've reproduced it on other games.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS