• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Help on Choosing Language for Game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Soft-Light_Imagery   Members   -  Reputation: 135

0Likes

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi,
I am wanting to start a solo game project for myself, it will be a browser based text adventure game, not a multiplayer game and the only graphics I am thinking of is a 2d Map that players can use to navigate the world map... such as going into dungeons, following roads ect.

I'm not to experienced with programing but have done graphics for awhile, and am wondering if theres a engine out there that would help, or atleast which language would work for this game. My only guess would be Java.. but any input will help on how to get started thank you

Sponsor:

#2 highGamer   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

Hi Galgore,

I am new to the scene too but I have some programming experience through web development. Although I have never done it myself I know JavaScript could complete what you want to do. It is a relatively easy language to learn and allows would be a good introduction. If you have not programmed before, JavaScript will be an interesting place to start. There are hundreds of tutorials online.
Javascript has a few negatives though!! As I understand it, as newbies we cant have the best of everything just yet. Explore JavaScript and let me know what you think - I am more than happy to help with anything.

highGamer

#3 highGamer   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

Just wanted to add quickly, just in case, JavaScript runs only in a browser. This means any games developed in this way will typically be web based. I hope this doesn't put you of JavaScript too much - It really is a great starting point for what you want to do!

highGamer

#4 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1641

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Just wanted to add quickly, just in case, JavaScript runs only in a browser. This means any games developed in this way will typically be web based. I hope this doesn't put you of JavaScript too much - It really is a great starting point for what you want to do!

highGamer

That's not entirely true. There are a number of ways to use JavaScript to make desktop applications. Also, depending on what you want to do, there are ways to even make browser-based JavaScript apps look just like native apps (specifically speaking of iOS and Android).

This blog post that I wrote a while ago might be informative for you: http://makemeprogram.tumblr.com/post/17307451729/the-least-important-choice

The gist is: don't get into the habit of thinking of being a single-language programmer. Your biggest hurdle right now is going to be learning habits that make you a programmer, things like how to pick out a missing comma or semi-colon from a sea of characters, how to debug code, how to organize your projects. These skills are completely language agnostic and will come with you when you do jump around between languages.

In your position, I'd take a look at some source code examples, try a few different languages out, and make a snap decision on what you like best. Then stick to it. I've seen a lot of people obsess over language choices and never actually build a game!

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS