Should I program in OpenGL

Started by
4 comments, last by Jeff D 22 years, 6 months ago
As of now I have started programming in C++. Right now I know all the loops, ifs, structures, references, pointers, class, and im starting to get into inheritence. With this amount of knowledge in C++ would it be wise to start opengl or directx or continue with my studies in C++? Thx, Jeff Desrosiers
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Advertisement
Continue C++ a bit more and start learning the basic principles of computer graphics (an excellent, though math-heavy reference is Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice by Foley, Van Damme et al). By the time you have a firm grip on the principles, then you''ll be ready to use OGL/DX to their respective maximums.
you should know everything u need to to start programming into opengl, but keep learning C++. Just be carefull and dont become like several people i know who dont know very much c++ and are trying to write quake 3.
Jeff Bland (Reverse_Gecko)reversegecko@gmail.com
Thx a lot ill continue my learning in C++ and Ill look up that book also.

Thx,

Jeff Desrosiers
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Programming is not really about how much C++ you know. Simple things such as classes and keywords etc are pretty easy to grasp. The real skill lies in actually problem solving, in other words, designing and implementing programs which do what you want them to do. If you can do this, you''re ready to learn OpenGL.

Using OpenGL itself is really pretty easy, dispite what l33t coders will tell you, but theres a fair bit of knowledge of the Win32 API required in order to set it up. If you want to get started with OpenGL without all the windows setup crap, use GLUT. I have some tuts on my web page which are pretty good (even if I do say so myself ).

www.elf-stone.com

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

quote:Original post by benjamin bunny
If you want to get started with OpenGL without all the windows setup crap, use GLUT.

Or SDL. To be more accurate, you should probably said there's a fair amount of "OS specific" stuff instead of "Windows" stuff required. Other than that: I agree, many people never figure out that programming's not about the syntax it's about the algorithms.

[Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Edited by - Null and Void on October 12, 2001 9:56:55 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement