Quick overview: A database that will hold probably 1 million+ accounts (probably a overkill in the amount of numbers, but id like to be safe and try to design a system that is easily expandable).
The database will probably all contain, for example, the following...
a) personal information (username, password aswell)
b) list of characters on the account...
- i) character level
- ii) character inventory
- iii) more game-specific data
Thoughts on creating this database:
1. Design my own database system that has a folder containing the account database. There will be 1 .dat file per account. Ive tried something similar like this before and the folder size becomes really large even though there are not large files containing within it, this probably has something to do with the disk state and NTFS... Although I dont think performance would be affected as the database size increases if this is the case though (directly load the single file, no searching required).
2. Same design as above but instead a maximum of 200 accounts per file (not completely sure how this will work though, by that I mean how to find the correct account between multiple files).
3. One main file, dynamically add/remove accounts from this file (I would assume though searching for a account in this solution will have the same problems that SQL databases yield).
4. Just go with technologies such as SQL (big databases become slow though).
The question if i did not clarify: Any of the suggested ideas above even feasibly possible?
As always, thank you. All replies are appriciated.
Edited by Xanather, 27 July 2012 - 03:21 AM.