What IDE is Better

Started by
6 comments, last by EMascheG 11 years, 8 months ago
Hi.

Ifrst i have a doubt about to select a IDE to programming. I see two IDE to use CodeBlocks or Qt Creator. Why this two because i want to create a engine,physcis sdk, I want multi platform. Codeblocks use wxWidgets and Qt creator use Qt library.

I want who is better in the programing and compatibility with another another language programming. Because i want to use Lua,Javascript and C++ and OpenGL. also who is better to use because i want my projects is posible to use in Mac,Linux,Windows

What of the two IDE is better to use with a Engine Physics how Bullet and PAL.
Another think what Engine of Physics is Better to use Bullet or ODE. and for what serves PAL Engine Physics.
And where can get a books or manuals about engine physics how Bullet,ODE or PAL

Thanks for read and Very Thanks to respond and help to clear my doubts.
Sorry if you see a error in the topic. I dont know write very well in english
Advertisement
You can use QT with CodeBlocks or wxWidgets with QT Creator aswell if you want (and neither QT nor wxWidgets are really suitable for game GUIs anyway), both IDEs use the same compiler (gcc) and thus are compatible with exactly the same libraries so it really is all about your personal preferences. (Personally i prefer QT Creator because of FakeVim), Both are C++ IDEs and have very little support for other languages, (You can integrate Lua or JavaScript in your C++ applications but the IDEs don't have things like syntax highlighting or codecompletion for Lua or JavaScript code.
(There might be plugins for it though).

If you want a multi language IDE i'd recommend looking at NetBeans (its really a Java IDE but it has plugins for pretty much any language you can think of and works reasonably well C++ and JavaScript (not sure about Lua as i usually just use vim to edit scripts)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I was using CodeBlocks for a very short while. It's bearable but I don't recommend, the editor is not very nice... Right now I'm using VC++ Express (free edition), it's more convenient for actual coding (generally, VC++ is the only piece of software by Microsoft that is actually better than all other alternatives, I had situations where my system was so unstable that even notepad was crashing, still VC never crashed for me ever :D). But CodeBlocks is very nice in terms of code portability... Ideally, I would go for doing primary coding in VC++ and then move to CodeBlocks for final muliplatform deplyment (note I have not done this yet, there might be some pitfals I'm not aware of).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Thanks for all the questions.
Now I just need to clarify my doubts about what engine the use of physics.
If you do decide to use Code::Blocks, it's worth getting one of the nightly builds. They're actually quite stable, and have many more features than what is available in the "stable" build.
The IDE you'll use should really not be much of a consideration as far as cross-platform-ness of your game is concerned. You'll do the bulk of your development on one platform or another, and you should use the best, most-productive means of developing software that it has available for your needs.

There's some additional overhead in maintaining multiple IDE project or make files, but most middleware libraries or engines that give you the source code manage this just fine. Tools like CMake can generate these kinds of files in many flavors from a single source document.

For myself, I'd do the bulk of development on Windows using Visual Studio (which is hands-down the best IDE, though some swear by SlickEdit) and manage the project files using CMake. For coding on other platforms (for example, when writing code specific to that platform) I'd likely use VIM, Make, and GDB.

Keep in mind that probably less than 20% of your code will be "platform aware", so you can do probably 80-90% of all your development in one environment. You can even do all your coding in one environment if you set up a cross-compiler, with appropriate libraries, and have a system to deploy builds to the target platform's test machine.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I've been using codelite since I moved to Linux and it's a decent IDE. It's no Visual Studio but the GDB integration is good and it has a bunch of nice plugins.

There really isn't a best IDE to use for a particular library. It's more what IDE you prefer for your work habits. Source code is source code no matter if you edit it in VIM or Visual Studio. It doesn't matter if it's Bullet or ODE.
Thanks for all response. Specially Mike Bossy and Ravyne

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement