• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Terraria Game Engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 shadowgamesco   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

I was just curious if anyone knew what language(s) was(were) used in the process of making the 2D platformer Terraria. Also what libraries where used to make the game engine? Just looking for some information on how to game was made.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19030

1Likes

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

I believe it's C#/XNA, probably without any higher-level framework. Why do you ask?

#3 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4495

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

It's C# and XNA 4.0, no other frameworks of any kind. No scripting. No data files. Everything is hardcoded into the EXE except for art and sound content.

#4 BeerNutts   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2978

2Likes

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

It's even in the Terraria FAQ:

What programing language is Terraria created in?
C# in the XNA Game Studio.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

#5 M6dEEp   Members   -  Reputation: 893

1Likes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you get a program like ILSpy or .Net Reflector, you can actually decompile it and view the code. They didn't bother obfuscating it.. pretty ballsy.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS