i'm new and i need some serious help
Members - Reputation: 100
Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:46 PM
i have been looking into making my own command and conquer style pc game, but i have some serious issues not know where to start. I have looked through the beginners section and there is alot of useful information but i don't know how relevant to me it is. I don't know what software to start using or even the language to use. I am sure that i'm missing loads of stuff so if you would like to know more ask me and i will give as much info as possible.
Moderators - Reputation: 14077
Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:36 PM
1. It's all relevant to you. Why do you think that the advice given to everyone is not relevant to you?
1. I have looked through the beginners section and there is alot of useful information but i don't know how relevant to me it is.
2. I don't know what software to start using or even the language to use.
2. The beginners section doesn't tell you that? Really? Then read these:
First, learn how to program, or start by using a "game maker" program. After you've done a whole lotta learning, then you should be able to make your game.
Making games fun and getting them done.
Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.
Crossbones+ - Reputation: 2460
Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:11 PM
- Is it relevant to the type of role you want? e.g. if you want to be an artist go light on the programmer topics. But if you do want to focus on one particular role, you need others to perform the other roles.
- Is it relevant to the type of game you want to make? e.g. some content is only relevant for 3d, or for physics-based games. But most of the stuff goes across genres, e.g. the game loop, game design, etc.
- Otherwise, it's relevant because you don't understand it. If you don't understand something important, that's what you need to dig into learning, although the particular topic may or may not be too advanced at your current level of understanding.