• Create Account

Generating spheres with unifrom vertex density

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 PAndersson   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi, I'm in the fairly early stages of creating a 4x space strategy game, though it will have a fair bit of ground action as well. For many of the planets, I will need to use heightmapped 3d spheres as the basic mesh. The problem is that the most straightforward method of creating these meshes results in spheres with a non-uniform vertex density with more vertices around the poles. I was wondering if there are any well known methods for generating spheres with a unifrom vertex density, where the density is customizable?

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12365

1Likes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Search the web for something like `equidistant points sphere' and you'll find lots of information about this problem.

Also, if you use a 3D texture for height displacement, the variability of vertex density becomes much less of an issue.

#3 clb   Members   -  Reputation: 1778

1Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

If geospheres might be adequate for this purpose, see e.g. this and this.
Me+PC=clb.demon.fi | C++ Math and Geometry library: MathGeoLib, test it live! | C++ Game Networking: kNet | 2D Bin Packing: RectangleBinPack | Use gcc/clang/emcc from VS: vs-tool | Resume+Portfolio | gfxapi, test it live!

#4 David Neubelt   Members   -  Reputation: 794

2Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

This gives decent results for render able geometry.

http://mathproofs.blogspot.com/2005/07/mapping-cube-to-sphere.html
Graphics Programmer - Ready At Dawn Studios

#5 billconan   Members   -  Reputation: 200

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

I think another approach is giving vertices some repulsion forces and adjust their locations by the forces.

#6 Postie   Members   -  Reputation: 882

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Though I've never used the technique myself, I'm a fan of the cube to sphere mapping. It'd be the first thing I'd try if I wanted to render a globe.
Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog: ByteWrangler

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS