• Create Account

New Android Developer - Target API

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 JOrrWhat   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hello GameDev,

This is my first post to the forums, so i appologize in advance for any mistakes i make.

My question is this: As a developer that is taking his first stab at developing for the Android system, what API level should i be targeting? Should i stay above a certain minimum, or is it all soley based on what i want my app to do?

Please excuse my knowledge of the general Android framework ( or lack thereof ), however, i assumed it would be best to ask those who know.

Thank You!

Sponsor:

#2 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hello GameDev,

This is my first post to the forums, so i appologize in advance for any mistakes i make.

My question is this: As a developer that is taking his first stab at developing for the Android system, what API level should i be targeting? Should i stay above a certain minimum, or is it all soley based on what i want my app to do?

Please excuse my knowledge of the general Android framework ( or lack thereof ), however, i assumed it would be best to ask those who know.

Thank You!

I think 90+ percent of people are still on Android 2.x. 3.x is a special tablet only version, but it's been replaced with 4.x. Almost no one is using 4.x.

Google doesn't care and the device makers really don't care. If you want a newer OS, you can buy a new phone from them.

It's hard to even call any version of Android a platform anyways, because every single device manufacturer has forked their own version of it. So anything you write will fail miserably on most devices you aren't able to physically test on. The whole situation is a mess.

Good luck.

#3 AdrianC   Members   -  Reputation: 602

2Likes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

I'd target 2.2 and up since that's the first version the supports OpenGL ES 2.0. Also I think the incompatibility issues are greatly exaggerated by the previous user.

#4 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Also I think the incompatibility issues are greatly exaggerated by the previous user.

I wish that was the case. After piracy, it's the biggest issue effecting Android development.

Google is trying to unify all the forks going forward with their new PDK system. We'll see how it turns out.

#5 abcdef44   Banned   -  Reputation: 2

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Google says to develop with the highest and only for release set back to the lowest to support. Must be cause of code optimisations etc.
Daaark you're a Mac freak?

#6 Epic Zombie   Members   -  Reputation: 145

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

I think 90+ percent of people are still on Android 2.x. 3.x is a special tablet only version, but it's been replaced with 4.x. Almost no one is using 4.x.

I'm not sure about that. When I take a look at Android versions in my developer console, I notice about 20% are on Android 4.x

#7 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Google says to develop with the highest and only for release set back to the lowest to support. Must be cause of code optimisations etc.
Daaark you're a Mac freak?

Well, I'm posting right now from an Android tablet. ;-) Unfortunately, that doesn't change the reality of the situation. There are thousands of Android devices and counting. All with their own forks, own bugs, and own quirks. Even google has trouble getting their own apps to work across the board. Many popular apps have to patch almost daily to try and keep up.
It's always fun when firmware updates hose half my apps too!

I'm not sure about that. When I take a look at Android versions in my developer console, I notice about 20% are on Android 4.x

The percentage was in the single digits a little while ago. I'm on 4.03 myself, but Asus has been good about that. Samsung has refused to upgrade a lot of their devices because there wouldn't be enough space for their touchwiz crap.

The entire situation is a mess, and a never ending uphill battle.

LibGDX seems to be solid at least.

#8 abcdef44   Banned   -  Reputation: 2

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

With LibGDX I can only code in Java? Export also to HTML5 would be neat, but as I'm coding in c++ I might have a look at NaCL:
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66394

I've updated my Xperia X10 Mini pro to Android 4.04, but have not yet found out how to get Android 4.* apps from google play.

#9 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

Android programming is primarily done in Java. There is an NDK (Native code Development Kit) that allows you to write parts of your app in C/C++. but you are still writing a Java program that calls your native code from a shared library.

#10 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21331

2Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

I'm with Daaark on this one.

Compatibility could be much better. Look at the somewhat successful apps and you will see a long list of incompatible devices. Many devices lie about their capabilities, other devices have forked in subtle incompatible ways. However, in some ways it is better than compatibility in the PC land where every machine has a unique combination of hardware and drivers; at least in Android you have a smaller and better-defined number of combinations.

I would target the 2.x range if you intend to release something on the app store, or 3.x if you need tablet-specific functionality. 2.2 is a good recommendation for broad distribution, but if you see some must-have feature that is available later in the 2.x series, make that your minimum spec.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#11 JOrrWhat   Members   -  Reputation: 140

1Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Very much appreciated, everyone.
Thank You!

#12 lmbarns   Members   -  Reputation: 460

0Likes

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Fragmentation in Android is ridiculous...

I have a kindle fire and samsung 4g phone, and the kindle plays perfectly while the phone playing the exact same build has a couple textures flickering(both have similar hardware). There are a couple shaders that work fine on dozens of phones, then you get some random device that doesn't work right.

Look at plants vs zombies: https://play.google....p.pvz_row&hl=en

5 stars: 2658
4 star: 592
3 star: 421
2 star: 296
1 star: 1946

I'm doing 3d though, I'm sure 2d works better on many more low end phones.

AND your app has to be under 50mb if you don't load the files externally with android.

Make a game for the ipad 1 and it'll run on the ipad 2. Make a game 500 mb and it'll install directly. I'm not developing for iOS but damn this should get more attention.

Edited by lmbarns, 06 August 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#13 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Look at plants vs zombies: https://play.google....p.pvz_row&hl=en

5 stars: 2658
4 star: 592
3 star: 421
2 star: 296
1 star: 1946

Last week Comixology released an update. One of the features was some device specific optimizations for the new Nexus 7. Guess what happened? Every device that wasn't a Nexus 7 was broken for the rest of the week.

This has happened to me before with tons of other apps. It's an impossible juggling act.

Edited by Daaark, 10 August 2012 - 04:16 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS