• Create Account

Looking for the game engine.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheGoldenGoblinofthe4thAge   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm looking for the best C++ based 2d game engine for huge scale rts, which preferably supporting vector based moving.

I'm waiting for your propositions.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Sponsor:

#2 JWalsh   Moderators   -  Reputation: 463

2Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Here is what you're looking for.

After you've taken a look at that, remember that focused questions such as "what are the benefits of engine A vs. B" is always better than "please do my research for me." With that said, there is no way other people can tell you the best engine for your particular project. Programming experience varies widely from person to person, as do all the features of an engine. Since nobody has used all the different engines available, the best you'll be able to get is "this worked well for me", which is still meaningless to you.

My advice is to follow the above link, compare features between the engines you find, and make a decision based on that. But of course, feel free to ask targeted questions about which features you should be looking for in a good engine. That's a different question entirely.
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

#3 TheGoldenGoblinofthe4thAge   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

In fact i was looking for the game engine for a few day's, and i'm still not sure which is best, so i decided to ask on this forum for advice from people with a greater expierience then me, which game engine will be best in this cause.

Of course i will be still serching but, i will be greatful for any piece of advice you could give me

#4 JWalsh   Moderators   -  Reputation: 463

1Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

How do you define "best"? What features are you looking for? Are you looking for commercial or free? Are you looking for C++, C#, Java, Python, or another language? Does the engine need to handle things like user input and sound as well, or are you just looking for a 2D graphics engine?

The point is, if you know the answers to the above questions, then you should be able to decide for yourself which is the right engine for you. If you don't know the answers to the above questions, then you're "putting the cart before the horse," so to speak. And you should be focused less on what 2D engine to use, and more on figuring out the answers to the above questions.
Jeromy Walsh
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

#5 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Are you looking for C++, C#, Java, Python, or another language?

Well he did say C++ in the question.

Engines specific to RTS games seem to be quite rare, probably easier to roll your own solution this time round. SDL and SFML both pop up as common drawing libraries and will be more than capable enough. Both handle input and sound aswell I believe (SDL certainly does). Just leaves you with AI and pathfinding (plenty of whitepaper on these subjects).

#6 JWalsh   Moderators   -  Reputation: 463

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Well he did say C++ in the question.

Haha. So he did. Missed that part.
Jeromy Walsh

#7 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1747

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Welcome to out great community, you will have fun here and be able to meet some very friendly and smart people :)

Oh gave you a vote up in order to be fair. After all you became a member yesterday and could hardly had any chance of getting into all the rules about asking questions that fast.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#8 agentleo   Members   -  Reputation: 173

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Welcome to out great community, you will have fun here and be able to meet some very friendly and smart people Posted Image

Oh gave you a vote up in order to be fair. After all you became a member yesterday and could hardly had any chance of getting into all the rules about asking questions that fast.

You mean I can't be the mean old hage? What is this world coming to!!!
Just a wannabe grinding in this game we call Life.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS