• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

UML Application?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Telios   Members   -  Reputation: 398

0Likes

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hiya,

Does anyone have a favorite free/reasonably priced UML tool they use?

I've used MagicDraw a great deal over the past few years but no longer being a student, I can't claim the education version. It looks as though they really rake it in for paid copies.

Cheers!

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

2Likes

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

I use lucidchart.com and am quite happy with it, particularly with the free Pro account for students. I also like the cloud nature of it, as I'm on various computers and operating systems all the time.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 Vodahmin   Members   -  Reputation: 233

2Likes

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

If you're looking for a UML tool for designing (rather than generating structure from the code), I'd recommend Microsoft Visio - I used it a couple of times for my university projects and it did the job well - clean, fast and easy.

As for a free, open source solution, I think Dia would do the trick as well.

#4 dilyan_rusev   Members   -  Reputation: 1067

1Likes

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

I like the UML modelling tools in Visual Studio 2010 the best app I've used. Close second is Borland Together.

What I like about Visual Studio are the keyboard bindings and the total lack of modal dialogs. Dia and Visio can do the job, but they require you to right-click + properties, which pops a modal dialog. In Together (I don't know if you can still get it, I've used 2008) and VS you've got properties editor, a modeless window that you can attach anywhere. In VS, try enter, it lets you add sub-elements right on the spot.

Another nice thing about VS is that it is free for a great deal of people, and they don't realise it. Students have DreamSpark/MSDN-AA, start-ups have BizSpark, and golden partners too.

I've heard lots of people praise Rational and say that everything else is amateur-ish. I've never used it, so I can't confirm. Since you are just starting out, you can give it a try - it seems there is a free version.

#5 Telios   Members   -  Reputation: 398

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions! I never knew VS2010 includes UML modelling, I'll definitely check that out!

It's interesting that IBM and Borland do free/trial versions - I always assume their tools are enterprise-priced, a lá ClearCase and StarTeam.

Thanks again :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS