• Create Account

help for pathfinding

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 zar2012   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

Hello all.
I'm about to create an AI system for a 3d game engine and facing some issues.
the problem is that I have a terrain and want to implement a pathfinding system on it but I don't know exactly what to do. could anyone please tell me what the best way to do that is? Is it to use waypoints, to use a navigation mesh or to use the terrain's own nodes and triangles? and what things should I consider before any decision-making?

Sponsor:

#2 DgekGD   Members   -  Reputation: 374

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Probably, for such algorithm as A*, you have to convert your terrain to pathfinding graph firstly. For example, in my game i check the slope of every triangle of the terrain:
float slope = 1.0f - normal.y;
and if the slope is close to 1.0f, then i mark this part of terrain as unwalkable, otherwise convert it to the node in pathfinding graph.
In resulting graph just use A*.

When a character moves, game automatically sets y position(height) of a character based on the position of a triangle below it.

Edited by DgekGD, 05 August 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS