• Create Account

Good open-source platform games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheVirtualDragon   Members   -  Reputation: 237

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hello, I am creating a 2d platform game in C++ and I am having problems with creating the engine. I want to know if there is a good open-source platform game so I can study it's engine. I would prefer it to be using SFML for graphics and Box2D for physics, but it doesn't really matter as I want to look at the structure not the actual code.

Instead, if there is a good tutorial on how to make a good game engine, then I will have a look at it. I have looked at some examples but not really understood most of it as it is too complex for me. This is my first game (apart from tic-tac-toe and pong) so I don't want my engine to be overly complicated.

Additional Information: I have about 2 years of experience in C++ and am dual booting Linux and Windows (so the platform doesn't matter - as long as it is not OS X).
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.

Sponsor:

#2 TheVirtualDragon   Members   -  Reputation: 237

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Also, what would be better to implement: an object based engine (define object, player, enemy etc.) or a component based (define graphics, physics and sound and build everything else from there)?
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.

#3 Fs02   Members   -  Reputation: 369

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Try this SFML tutorial ( www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-From-Scratch-CPP-Edition.aspx ) 

even that is not a game engine tutorial, but i think it's cover the basic idea of how game engine works.

Hope this will help you :)

[my game in #ggj14 : http://www.indiedb.com/games/romance-stalker [my blog : http://surya.volge.net ]

#4 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3539

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

There is a platform game starter kit on the XNA site. It's C#, but the concepts are the same in any language.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS