• Create Account

Massively Multiplayer Server Design

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

#21 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2644

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:05 AM

If you tell the client what tick server is at once in a while, and the health regen is in hp/tick + start tick, it should be accurate...

o3o

Sponsor:

#22 Firestryke31   Members   -  Reputation: 350

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Perhaps send the "current" server tick as part of the heartbeat?

#23 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 712

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

Ok, thought so :P thanks

#24 nfries88   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

All replies are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Xanather.

Too lazy to read every response. I worked on an open-source MMORPG (Open-Tibia) for several years, and I'll answer your questionsto the best of my ability:
1) That's fine. CLR is a good runtime for a server.
2) Use asynchronous sockets. This is generally the best method for an MMORPG. Here's an example from MSDN, where you will find all the reference you need: http://msdn.microsof...y/fx6588te.aspx
3) How many threads you have depends on the nature of your game. Two may be enough, you may find you need more to handle a larger world or higher player levels, I can't tell you that. In Open-Tibia we have three: one for network, one exclusively for scheduling tasks, and one exclusively for executing tasks. This is a pretty good model for a smaller server, but no Open-Tibia servers have ever reached the player levels of, say, WoW; so what the limits of this design really are is unknown.
4) Only players who can see the event (or who are within the general range of sight, in the case of a first-person game, since it would be a ton of overhead to calculate this) should recieve any event. You may find you have more specific needs, say, for a first person shooter a bullet can travel for a longer distance and may need to re-send its own event as it moves into range.
5) This is the only safe way to make a multiplayer game.
6) That's perfectly reasonable, as long as the client is also to be written in C# (may be better to use non-blocking sockets or blocking sockets on their own thread for the client).

Also, don't worry about the latency. Once you get the game up and running, you can afford to host it on a legitimate hosting service provider, and latency will shrink to negligible levels.

Edited by nfries88, 22 August 2012 - 06:25 PM.

Looking for paid or open-source C++ programming work. Been programming since 2005. No degree.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS