• Create Account

Deferred rendering tutorials for DirectX 11?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 SamiHuutoniemi   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hello!

I've been looking around searching for a good tutorial or guide on how to implement deferred rendering in DirectX 11. There seems to be some open source engines that use it, but going through a whole framework isn't what I'm looking for. There also seems to be quite a lot for XNA. Is there no good guide for DirectX 11?

Sponsor:

#2 Hornsj3   Members   -  Reputation: 191

1Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

There's at least one book with an example implementation. Practical Rendering and Computation with DirectX 11.

#3 JWalsh   Moderators   -  Reputation: 462

1Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

You're right. I don't see a lot of examples online. I'll add deferred shading with DirectX 11 to my list of upcoming tutorials.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

#4 SamiHuutoniemi   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

There's at least one book with an example implementation. Practical Rendering and Computation with DirectX 11.

Yes. I have heard that it is supposed to be good. But as a student with no means, those 50 € seem horribly valuable!

You're right. I don't see a lot of examples online. I'll add deferred shading with DirectX 11 to my list of upcoming tutorials.

Cheers!

Nice! How about tomorrow? ;) Just kidding, but that would be terrific! I'll check your site!

#5 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10282

3Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yes. I have heard that it is supposed to be good. But as a student with no means, those 50 € seem horribly valuable!

You have to pay for the book, but the code is free. Posted Image

Aside from that, there's also Andrew Lauritzen's excellent sample on tile-based deferred rendering with compute shaders. I also have yet another sample on my blog that implements both tile-based deferred rendering and light-indexed deferred rendering using compute shaders. However these last two samples are definitely more advanced, and assume that you understand the basics of deferred rendering.

Edited by MJP, 05 August 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#6 SamiHuutoniemi   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks MJP! I will take a look at that code. Unfortunately I'm running a fever at the moment, so I'm not into too much brainwork right now :(

#7 mynameisnafe   Members   -  Reputation: 242

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

You have to pay for the book, but the code is free. Posted Image

That's a hell of a lot of code with no book.. I need this book. I have it in my basket on Amazon, I'm glad I've seen it recommended :)

So deffered rendering.. does that mean MeshRenderer::Render(&mesh) ?

I've been doing the rastertek tutorials, and then read something on here 'MeshInterface or AbstractMesh', and it got me thinking.. the way I've got it set up atm I have a model and a model has a texture and one of rasterteks shaderclass (a little different though). I was wondering, since you're a bit ahead of me on the understanding of engines and such, how would I go about exlporing this idea? Are there any basic tutorials out there on this?

#8 french_hustler   Members   -  Reputation: 341

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Check out Humus' examples. He has clear code and different implementations of deferred renderers.
Here is his site:
http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=3D&&start=8

He has really good demos and his framework is pretty easy to understand.
A lot of it is using Dx10.1, but it should be really easy to migrate to Dx11.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS