• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Wrote an article for gamedev.net in HTML...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cygon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1141

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

I just finished work on an article I want to try and publish on gamedev.net. I used HTML all the way, because that's how I usually write my blog posts and documentation.

Now I notice that the article submitting page uses the same editor as the forum posts do and that this editor doesn't allow me to edit the raw HTML code. Is there any way to import HTML or will I have to copy it, paragraph by paragraph, and apply formatting to it?

Copy & paste from a browser into this editor breaks the formatting as well...

Edited by Cygon, 05 August 2012 - 07:09 AM.

Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.

Sponsor:

#2 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5272

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Now I notice that the article submitting page uses the same editor as the forum posts do and that this editor doesn't allow me to edit the raw HTML code. Is there any way to import HTML or will I have to copy it, paragraph by paragraph, and apply formatting to it?

Currently this is not possible, although I believe it's mainly due to a restriction placed on your account since you are not a mod or staff member. I know the ability to post articles using HTML is there, we just have to 1) ensure that doing so won't create an exploit malicious users can take advantage of to damage the site and 2) check that it's possible to enable for articles only and not only articles and forum posting together. I'll get back to you.

Copy & paste from a browser into this editor breaks the formatting as well...

I've noticed this too recently and I'm not sure why. I know in the past I was able to paste RTF into the editor box - although to be honest it usually caused more trouble than not - I would sometimes paste some text copied from Word and it would show up in a slightly larger font all bold for some reason. Or I would paste the RTF content and then publish and some of the formatting wouldn't turn up properly when I viewed the post. I'm not sure if an update changed this or not. I can check on that too

Edited by Gaiiden, 06 August 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#3 Cygon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1141

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

I've noticed this too recently and I'm not sure why. I know in the past I was able to paste RTF into the editor box - although to be honest it usually caused more trouble than not - I would sometimes paste some text copied from Word and it would show up in a slightly larger font all bold for some reason. Or I would paste the RTF content and then publish and some of the formatting wouldn't turn up properly when I viewed the post. I'm not sure if an update changed this or not. I can check on that too

I know that all too well :) - at least with TinyMCE, FCKeditor and so on pasting formatted text always results in "alien" text blocks that behave strangely and stand out.

If It's currently not possible to use HTML I'll just apply formatting normally. I took the time to write the article, another 5 minutes won't kill me!
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.

#4 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5272

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Just be aware we still have not officially launched the new article submission system, but we do appreciate some submissions so we can start testing it further than just internally.

Edited by Gaiiden, 06 August 2012 - 06:59 PM.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS