• Create Account

principle directions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 davidko   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 October 2001 - 03:47 PM

Anyone know of a good implementation for calculating principle directions of a manifold with boundary? The only paper I could find was by Taubin, but it'll be nice to find code that works. I would write it myself, but I have one day to do it. I don't think that's possible for me. Perhaps there's a quick and dirty way to calculate this that'll take a really short amount of time? Edited by - davidko on October 10, 2001 12:19:10 AM

Sponsor:

#2 Timkin   Members   -  Reputation: 864

Posted 11 October 2001 - 04:50 PM

How is your manifold specified?

Timkin

#3 davidko   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 October 2001 - 09:07 PM

How is it specified? you mean, what data structures do I use?

I just have a list of polys and all the polygons it is connected to. Each vertex knows all the polygons that contains it. This information is determined during starttime, but later is discarded. I use the AC3D modeler, which doesn't give you any connectivity information, so I do it myself so I can calculate all the vertex normals and such. I make sure the models I create are manifold.

Edited by - davidko on October 12, 2001 4:08:35 AM

#4 johnb   Members   -  Reputation: 347

Posted 11 October 2001 - 09:10 PM

And what do you mean by ''principal directions'' ? A generalised manifold can be very complex, so much that it''s impossible to identify it''s direction or directions.

#5 no way   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 October 2001 - 03:00 AM

http://amp.ece.cmu.edu/Publication/Cha/icip01_Cha.pdf
This one is real easy to understand and implement.

The fast, and obvisously more complex method is here together with source code and example program:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mirtich/publications.html
"Fast and Accurate Computation of Polyhedral Mass Properties"

Im still trying to find this paper:
Sheue-ling Lien, James T. Kajiya, "A Symbolic Method for Calculating the Intergral Properties of Arbitrary Nonconvex Polyhedra"

Edited by - no way on October 12, 2001 10:02:50 AM

#6 grhodes_at_work   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1361

Posted 12 October 2001 - 07:17 AM

The Mirtich reference pointed to by no way is good. I''ve actually used the code and it works, though I don''t recall if it gives you the principal inertias and axes...

#7 davidko   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 October 2001 - 10:03 AM

Ahh...Thanks for the links. I''ll take a look into it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS