I am a programmer of intermediate experience and I want to create a networked game. I can not decide what sort of "model" I should pick for this game. Currently, this is the model that I am thinking of:
Imagine there are four guys - User, John, Bob, and Server. Server is the guy controlling the game.
- User is sitting at his computer playing the game. He clicks his mouse.
- John is the program on User's computer who detects the mouse click. He doesn't know what it means, but he knows that he's supposed to send it to Bob.
- Bob is at the server's end. He, like John, knows nothing about the click but he knows how communicate with John. He picks up the mouse click and gives it to Server, telling him it came from User.
- Server is the brains. He interprets the mouse click and changes something in the game.
- Every (say) 30 milliseconds, Server renders the game. He knows where User's camera is pointed and so he generates an image which should appear on User's screen.
- Server doesn't know how to send it to User, so he gives it to Bob.
- Bob sends the image to John.
- John doesn't understand the image but he displays the image on the screen.
Edited by lordsurya08, 05 August 2012 - 06:39 PM.