• Create Account

my first rpg

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Donal Byrne   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

ok so Im in my last year of high school and I want to go into a career of game development. So i figure i should start getting some experience making games. I can program in java script and have made about 5 standard games using Unity. Now I really want to make an rpg because its my favorite genre. the only thing is Im wondering if unity is the best way to go about it.

I just want it to be a simple 2d rpg. Ive made 2d games on Unity but I'm wondering if It would just be better to use game maker or game salad or one of those game engines. Ill probably learn more programing from unity but I think it'll be easier to use software like rpg maker or sphere.
Ill will be working with two other people with similar experience.

any advice from people who have experience making indie games would be great thanks

Sponsor:

#2 sebman   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

If you're trying to get more experienced regarding programming. I would recommend C - it's a great language. You can combine it with different engines or frameworks (SDL is great).

#3 Suspense   Members   -  Reputation: 449

0Likes

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

What specific field in game development are you interested in? If it's programming, Unity is probably fine. But you might think about learning the other languages it supports as well as Javascript. You could also find another engine that lets you do some more in-depth programming rather than just scripting. If you go this route, stay away from C and C++ for a while. Other languages will be far more productive for you early on.

If you are hoping to go into design more than programming, Unity is still probably a good idea. Game maker might be ok as well. Overall, it sounds like you're off to a great start. It will be far more important that you have finished games under your belt than what specific tools and technologies you've used.

#4 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5805

0Likes

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

if RPG Maker has the features you need then go for it, Making an RPG will take alot of time anyway so there is no point in making things harder for yourself than necessary.

If you want to learn lower level programming i'd recommend making something smaller.
RPGs tend to be quite heavy on high level logic which is insanely painful to do with a low level language (If you do write a RPG in C or C++ i'd highly recommend adding atleast basic scripting support for things like NPCs, Quests, etc as hardcoding those things will make things rather annoying in the long run)

Edited by SimonForsman, 08 August 2012 - 09:39 AM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#5 Sandman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2079

2Likes

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

Unity + C# seems like a good balance between 'getting things done' and gaining experience in a practical language.

#6 SEALi0N   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'm also interested in making a 2D RPG, but I'm having some trouble following tutorials on C#. Once I started making classes and methods I just got totally lost. I have basically no previous programming exp besides a little Visual Basic. If I told you that the only reason I want to learn how to code is because I want to do a solo project, would I be better off using something like RPG Maker? I'm more of a writer/idea man... write the story, come up with the gameplay features and level designs-- that sort of stuff. The coding is interesting, but it's quite daunting to me. I'm also wondering if a game made in RPG Maker can be converted to something like XNA? My current goal is to finish a 2D RPG and make it commercial, going to PC and Xbox Live Indie Games.

Rather than post a new thread, I saw this and thought I'd share my concerns. Thanks for any help.

-sea

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS