• Create Account

Think java exercise answers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffige   Members   -  Reputation: 113

-1Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Does anyone know if there are any answers floating around to the exercises in Think Java: Think like a computer scientist by Allen Downey?

I'm stuck on exercise 2.11 - the 24 hour clock.

Thanks for any replies

Sponsor:

#2 Jeffige   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Any one care to help me understanding this?
I found what is supposed to be the answer but I can't wrap my head around it. Like where did the 3600 come from on this line
seconds_since_midnight = hour * 3600 + minute * 60 + second;

Thanks for any help
[source lang="java"]public class time { public static void main(String[] args) { int hour, minute, second, seconds_since_midnight, seconds_remaining, percentage_passed;hour = 20; minute = 14; second = 29; seconds_since_midnight = hour * 3600 + minute * 60 + second; System.out.print("Seconds since midnight: "); System.out.println(seconds_since_midnight); seconds_remaining = (24 - hour) * 3600 + (60 - minute) * 60 + (60 - second); System.out.print("Seconds remaining in the day: "); System.out.println(seconds_remaining); percentage_passed = seconds_since_midnight * 100 / (3600 * 24); System.out.print("Percentage of the day that has passed: "); System.out.println(percentage_passed); }}[/source]

Edited by Jeffige, 10 August 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#3 RulerOfNothing   Members   -  Reputation: 1151

2Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

An hour is 60 minutes, and a minute is 60 seconds. You get the 3600 seconds to an hour by simple multiplication.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS