• Create Account

TTF Problem

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaShwimp   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hello again
I now have another problem xP with my C++ and SDL.
Im now learning to use the ttf library and Ive linked all the libraries together, and theirs no issues with the compiler trying to find the functions or anything, but when I try to load a font, the ttf_openfont command cant find "lazy.ttf" and returns null, so I end up with the message that the program returned 4, meaning the font failed to load.

Any help as to why the program cant find the font? Posted Image

Thanks!

Heres the source for it:
[source lang="cpp"]//The headers#include "SDL/SDL.h"#include "SDL/SDL_image.h"#include "SDL/SDL_ttf.h"#include <string>//Screen settingsconst int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;//The surfacesSDL_Surface *background = NULL;SDL_Surface *message = NULL;SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;//The event structureSDL_Event event;//The font that's going to be usedTTF_Font *font = NULL;//The color of the fontSDL_Color textColor = { 255, 255, 255 };SDL_Surface *load_image( std::string filename ){ //The image that's loaded SDL_Surface* loadedImage = NULL; //The optimized image that will be used SDL_Surface* optimizedImage = NULL; //Load the image loadedImage = IMG_Load( filename.c_str() ); //If the image loaded if( loadedImage != NULL ) { //Create an optimized image optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormat( loadedImage ); //Free the old image SDL_FreeSurface( loadedImage ); } return optimizedImage;}bool init(){ //Initialize all SDL subsystems if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING ) == -1 ) { return false; } //Set up the screen screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP, SDL_SWSURFACE ); //If there was an error in setting up the screen if( screen == NULL ) { return false; } //Initialize SDL_ttf if( TTF_Init() == -1 ) { return false; } //Set the window caption SDL_WM_SetCaption( "TTF Test", NULL ); //If everything initialized fine return true;}bool load_files(){ //Load the background image background = load_image( "background.png" ); //Open the font font = TTF_OpenFont( "lazy.ttf", 28 ); return true;}bool backgroundLoad(){ //If there was a problem in loading the background if( background == NULL ) { return false; } else { return true; }}bool fontLoad(){ //If there was an error in loading the font if( font == NULL ) { return false; } else { return true; }}void clean_up() { //Free the surfaces SDL_FreeSurface( background ); SDL_FreeSurface( message ); //Close the font that was used TTF_CloseFont( font ); //Quit SDL_ttf TTF_Quit(); //Quit SDL SDL_Quit(); }void apply_surface( int x, int y, SDL_Surface* source, SDL_Surface* destination ){ //Temporary rectangle to hold the offsets SDL_Rect offset; //Get the offsets offset.x = x; offset.y = y; //Blit the surface SDL_BlitSurface( source, NULL, destination, &offset );}int main( int argc, char* args[] ){ bool quit = false; if( init() == false ) { return 1; } if( load_files() == false ) { return 2; } if( backgroundLoad() == false ) { return 3; } if( fontLoad() == false ) { return 4; } //Render the text message = TTF_RenderText_Solid( font, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", textColor ); //If there was an error in rendering the text if( message == NULL ) { return 5; } //Apply the images to the screen apply_surface( 0, 0, background, screen ); apply_surface( 0, 150, message, screen ); //Update the screen if( SDL_Flip( screen ) == -1 ) { return 6; } while( quit == false ) { while( SDL_PollEvent ( &event ) ) { if( event.type == SDL_QUIT ) { quit == true; } } } //Clean up clean_up(); return 0;}[/source]

Sponsor:

#2 Lazy Foo   Members   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hello again
Im now learning to use the ttf library and Ive linked all the libraries together, and theirs no issues with the compiler trying to find the functions or anything, but when I try to load a font, the ttf_openfont command cant find "lazy.ttf" and returns null, so I end up with the message that the program returned 4, meaning the font failed to load.

Thanks!

The ttf file needs to be where the executable can find it. Is it in the same directory as the exe?

Edited by Lazy Foo, 10 August 2012 - 08:08 PM.

Learn to make games with my SDL Tutorials.
Transition from OpenGL 2 to modern OpenGL using my OpenGL Tutorial.

#3 DaShwimp   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

The SDL_ttf.dll and libfreetype-6.dll are in the same directory as the .exe., if those are the ones you're talking about.
There is another zlib1.dll that came with ttf but Im using the one that came with SDL_image, if that matters.
Thanks for the reply :) I love your tutorial so far!

#4 endless11111   Members   -  Reputation: 135

1Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hello again

Thanks!

do you have the font file in the save directory as the project file? by font file i mean the actual lazy.ttf file, not the dll's. if the error is due to the program being unable to load the font file it means the compiler cant find the lazy.ttf file. just make sure the lazy.ttf file is in the same directory as your compiler's project file if you are running the program through the compiler. if you run it using the .exe file put the lazy.ttf file in the same directory as the .exe.

#5 DaShwimp   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Wow Im sorry xD I cant believe I didnt think of it before.
Thank you! I downloaded your media and source for that tutorial and right there was the .ttf to put in xP

Thanks again. Hopefully I wont need to post super often xP

#6 endless11111   Members   -  Reputation: 135

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

Wow Im sorry xD I cant believe I didnt think of it before.
Thank you! I downloaded your media and source for that tutorial and right there was the .ttf to put in xP

Thanks again. Hopefully I wont need to post super often xP

no problem, i also had the same problem when i was first learning SDL(although im still learning).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS