Best way to follow up a tutorial?

Started by
4 comments, last by Paul C Skertich 11 years, 8 months ago
How should I to follow up a programming tutorial?
Should I recopy the code, understand it, and then just moving on?
Advertisement
No. Read the tutorial and try to internalize the concepts it's conveying. Implement them yourself -- don't just copy the code, even if you think you "understand" it, that's a sure way to disaster. If you do understand the concepts and the code you'll have no trouble reimplementing the thing on your own.

Be aware that many tutorials are downright terrible and shouldn't be trusted on their own.
Do something with it to test that you've actually learned from it.

If you're using a tutorial that comes with prebuilt sample code I recommend reengineering from the ground up to make sure you actually understand how it's put together.

I also recommend using it in an actual game project because thing is tutorials are actual often build for simplicity's sake and don't scale well when going from tutorial demos to actual large projects.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

And What happends if I'm trying to follow up a very large tutorial?
Actually, the tutorial has 46 chapters, and each chapter has a lot of lines of code...
It's very difficult to me to make my own code without looking the sample.
I'm trying to learn DirectX 11 (Direct3d 11, etc).

I should initialize the window with Win32 API, and then the d3d. It's very delicate :(
I need to copy all the code because I can't memorize all.

Should I hold all the functions, flags, etc?
How could I hold that information?

Josh Petrie, Lazy Foo
Thank you very much

By the way, I used to make small games with SDL, it is simpler than directx, so I could make my own code. I learned SDL with your tutorial (Lazy foo). Also thank you for that.

And What happends if I'm trying to follow up a very large tutorial?
Actually, the tutorial has 46 chapters, and each chapter has a lot of lines of code...
It's very difficult to me to make my own code without looking the sample.
I'm trying to learn DirectX 11 (Direct3d 11, etc).

I should initialize the window with Win32 API, and then the d3d. It's very delicate sad.png
I need to copy all the code because I can't memorize all.

Should I hold all the functions, flags, etc?
How could I hold that information?

Josh Petrie, Lazy Foo
Thank you very much

Cut it up into testable pieces. Get one piece working, then get another piece working, then get another piece working, etc.

Also, people have different code and software architecture standards. The way I code my tutorials is probably different from the way you code you programs. One way that's always worked for me is porting a lesson's code to work with my personal framework.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Hey, how's it going? Hope weekend is good! You know what helps alot when I fully understand the material at hand. It soons become understanding so when I look at another's source code; I understand how the puzzle fits together. Recopying code after and after - sure, easy but it's less learning experience. On addition, by understanding the material and experimenting here and there - seeing how the pieces work will help greatly learn! If you're stuck? Look up on MSDN and google because those two are a programmer's great friend!
Game Engine's WIP Videos - http://www.youtube.com/sicgames88
SIC Games @ GitHub - https://github.com/SICGames?tab=repositories
Simple D2D1 Font Wrapper for D3D11 - https://github.com/SICGames/D2DFontX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement