• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

[DX11] Low fps - graphics card auto-underclocked

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Perry   Members   -  Reputation: 1378

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

Hi,

I have strange problem with my DX11 application. If I run it after start of system, everything is fine. I got 60FPS, GPU clocks are correct.
But after several times of running, application starts with 5FPS and GPU is heavily underlocked (about 300MHz). CPU timings are still the same, as the percentage of usage.

I have GeForce 560Ti, latest NVidia drivers (301.42).

What can be wrong ? Could it be some memory leak (on GPU or CPU side) in my application ?

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 34999

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:29 AM

There's a chance that this isn't your fault -- some GPU drivers try to assess whether you're just running regular 2D software, or a 3D game, and under/over-clock the GPU accordingly. Unfortunately, they sometimes make the wrong decision. At one point, Starcraft2 was incorrectly flagged as Starcraft1 (a 2D game), and nVidia performance tanked as a result, until a fixed driver was released...
If this is the case, you shouldn't be worrying about it - nVidia should fix their driver. You could help them by submitting a bug report with them, with some example code of how to reproduce this behavior. Or alternatively, you could fight the driver by performing some expensive 3D rendering when your game starts up, to try and trick the driver into switching into high-performance mode... Posted Image

#3 Martin Perry   Members   -  Reputation: 1378

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

If it was really Driver bug, wouldn´t that error occured every time I run my application ? Now its noly after several runs... before that all is ok.

#4 SamiHuutoniemi   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Could it not be as simple as that the graphics card gets overheated, and therefore is underclocked to save it from being damaged? Would explain it working at system bootup.

#5 Martin Perry   Members   -  Reputation: 1378

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Other DX11 applications run just fine, GPU temperature is 42°C....

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS