• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Testing for Whole Numbers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Captacha   Members   -  Reputation: 141

0Likes

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

How can I test if a certain expression evaluates to a specific data type? For Instance:
int i = rand%10+1;
if(i/3 == int)
   do this

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

1Likes

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

You're doing it right there in your code (just above the if statement). See that % operator? That's the modulus operator. Simplified explanation, a % b tells you the remainder when you divide a by b, and if the remainder is zero, a is in fact a multiple of b, and the result of a / b is an integer. So you would just do:
if (i % 3 == 0)
    // i is divisible by 3, and thus i / 3 is an integer

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16077

0Likes

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

Depends on the language you're using.

In C, C++, C#, and Java (my best guesses from the snippet you posted) values do not change types at runtime. So if you write this code:

int foo = [some expression];

Then foo is an integer, and always will be. If you try to assign anything else to it, you either get a compiler error, or you get the integer part of whatever number you tried to assign, if you use a cast.

If you're talking about a different language, which actually does support "dynamic types" (i.e. types of variables/values can change at runtime) then you'll need to specify the language, as they all differ in how you test for a specific type.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS