• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Designing a 2D isometric engine with OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bluefirehawk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1232

0Likes

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hello guys,
I am thinking about how to do an isometric 2d engine with OpenGL. The player is always located in the center of the scene, the scene moves with the player.

What i want to do
In the end, the engine should be able to render normal isometric tiles and fake blocks like this: http://opengameart.o...uilding-tileset.
And it should be able to render terrain slopes, I got the idea from these pictures: http://opengameart.o...errain-renderer.
My first goal is to set up a flat world, then put in a player, start moving around and work my way up from there. But before that I have some questions:

Frame dependent or Frame indipendent?
I am guessing it doesn't really matter, both will work in the end and produce similar results (of course when the FPS is capped). But are there upsides/downsides that I haven't seen?

Smooth scrolling with tiles
The only solution I came up with is that the player moves at a "pixels per frame/millisecond" speed and don't care about the tiles for movement. Otherwise when the player moves he skips forward the size of one tile.
But the older games like Diablo 1 managed to render smoothly, how did they do it?

With the power of OpenGL
How to draw a 2D Isometric picture is clear. But since I have OpenGL at my disposal, I want to use it to make my life easier.
I first had the idea to simply put the scene full of rhombi. But then I saw that I could draw squares, put the sprites of the player on an orthogonal rectangle and tilt the camera.
To me it is also a bit unclear if I should set up the whole map in OpenGl, or just use some rectangles and change the sprites on them?
I can always go full 3d, but having read some examples I presume it will make the engine more complicated, since I don't have much experience in 3D rendering.
So, how do you do it nicely with OpenGL, keeping the terrain slopes in mind?
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!

Sponsor:

#2 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3109

1Likes

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

You might find some of your answers in this thread from a couple days ago: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/629496-dynamic-objects-in-isometric-map-drawing-algorythms/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS