• Create Account

Effects11: Check for supported shader version?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Rarosu   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hello,

I'm getting a problem when creating an effect using the Effects11 framework:

D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreateVertexShader: Shader must be vs_4_0 or vs_4_1. Shader version provided: vs_5_0 [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #167: CREATEVERTEXSHADER_INVALIDSHADERTYPE ]
First-chance exception at 0x000007fefde9cacd in WarSettlers.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0018e620..
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreatePixelShader: Shader must be ps_4_0 or ps_4_1. Shader version provided: ps_5_0 [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #193: CREATEPIXELSHADER_INVALIDSHADERTYPE ]
First-chance exception at 0x000007fefde9cacd in WarSettlers.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0018e620..

So my card isn't supporting a shader version higher than 4.1. Fair enough. I can switch adapter and then it works fine. My problem is that D3DX11CreateEffectFromMemory from which these errors originate returns S_OK. And then the program breaks because it cannot find a bound vertex and pixel shader. I'd really like to be able to catch this and output a proper error to the user, so my question is if there is any way of detecting this?

The code I use for compiling and creating an effect below:

// Compile the effect
ID3D10Blob* shader;
ID3D10Blob* errors;

HRESULT result = D3DX11CompileFromFile("Resources/Effects/BasicColor.fx",
	NULL,
	NULL,
	NULL,
	"fx_5_0",
	D3D10_SHADER_ENABLE_STRICTNESS | D3D10_SHADER_DEBUG,
	NULL,
	&shader,
	&errors,
	NULL);

if (FAILED(result))
{
	std::string errorMessage;
	if (errors != NULL)
	{
		errorMessage = static_cast(errors->GetBufferPointer());
	}
	else
	{
		errorMessage = "Could not find effect file";
	}

throw DirectXErrorM(result, errorMessage);
}

result = D3DX11CreateEffectFromMemory(shader->GetBufferPointer(), shader->GetBufferSize(), 0, GetD3D().GetDevice().Resource(), &m_effect.Resource());
if (FAILED(result))
{
	throw DirectXErrorM(result, "Failed to create effect from compiled blob.");
}

Does anyone have any idea on how to check if the vertex- and pixel shader have been actually created by the effect?

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS