• Create Account

Need a extra help with your coding?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tordin   Members   -  Reputation: 604

4Likes

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hello!

So, some year ago i came up with this idea of helping rookies with their programming to expand my comuncation & mentoring skills!

Since then, i have help´t some rookies with their different stuff they would like to code. Not actualy writing their code, but to stand on the side and help them in a mentoring way, explaning, giving tips and hints on what to do.
This have come with some good responses and i would like to do it again (due to all the rokies are not so much rokies any more)

the main and only reason im doing this is beacuse of that i allways would like to expand my experiances in evey possibleway! and i found out
that this was pretty darn good at that.

Who i am?
I am some guy who love programming and work with it professionaly in the game industry. (and have been for a while)
my primary working areas is Engine & Rendering. but i still know a few tricks about most that involves game development.

Who should you be?
A rookie with a passion for games/coding and motivation to learn. (i cannot motivate you, im sorry. and i wont)
YOU NEED to be with in my timezone gmt +1 ( i acctualy need to sleep, unlike other coders )

other than that i would like to say to every body who´s interessted in doing this to reply in this thread, where you live and what type of stuff you are aiming for.

-- IF i posted this in the wrong forum, please move this thread.
"There will be major features. none to be thought of yet"

Sponsor:

#2 FrankW.   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hello Tordin!

Your idea is really nice and I could really need someone for some hints and tips in coding a 3d game / engine, as I am working on a game right now.
At the moment I am living in Austria, so the timezone is the same (GMT +1), you don't need to motivate me and also there is basic knowledge in coding (2d games like Tetris, Snake.. useful applications etc.). There are many things to do, a well proved collision detection, physics (in some kind), sockets and the shader.. also I need to care about the rendering and the performance.

It would be really cool if you would offer some time for me, talking about some topics to give me some ideas and "kicks" to start with. I am using Skype and if you don't mind I would like to add you ;-) Don't worry, I also use the internet as a reference :-)

Frank

#3 Tordin   Members   -  Reputation: 604

1Likes

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Hello Tordin!

Your idea is really nice and I could really need someone for some hints and tips in coding a 3d game / engine, as I am working on a game right now.
At the moment I am living in Austria, so the timezone is the same (GMT +1), you don't need to motivate me and also there is basic knowledge in coding (2d games like Tetris, Snake.. useful applications etc.). There are many things to do, a well proved collision detection, physics (in some kind), sockets and the shader.. also I need to care about the rendering and the performance.

It would be really cool if you would offer some time for me, talking about some topics to give me some ideas and "kicks" to start with. I am using Skype and if you don't mind I would like to add you ;-) Don't worry, I also use the internet as a reference :-)

Frank

I´m glad if i can help you in any way. and i´m glad that you thought this idea was a good one. :)

#4 TMKCodes   Members   -  Reputation: 271

2Likes

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

Tordin this is really nice. I have myself been and will be mentoring total newbies how to actually write code. Some of them have been on a programming course and some have not. Some of them have become actually pretty good and some have lost their interest as programming was so hard. Though next I will be taking those people under me who do not have the motivation or brains to do programming, because those who have the motivation and know how will learn it some way themselves.

I can only say that programming should be taught by master instead of learning alone from a website.

#5 Tordin   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

Tordin this is really nice. I have myself been and will be mentoring total newbies how to actually write code. Some of them have been on a programming course and some have not. Some of them have become actually pretty good and some have lost their interest as programming was so hard. Though next I will be taking those people under me who do not have the motivation or brains to do programming, because those who have the motivation and know how will learn it some way themselves.

I can only say that programming should be taught by master instead of learning alone from a website.

Well, i just want to help others, and improve on my own skills :)

And i know programming can be hard some times and thats why i would like to try to help other to get started or to help them solve different problems they might stumble uppon!

#6 GKANG   Members   -  Reputation: 163

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

It'd be great if I can join in with this, though I'm not sure what you mean by "rookie". Do you mean people who've been making (poor) games already?, people who're still learning how to code in general?

I like that you're not going to be writing code for people, just giving some hints and tips, since it's obviously important for people to work stuff out on their own. I actually had someone helping me make a game years ago (in GameMaker when I was a kid) and he did code a lot, which kinda lost me and I ended up feeling like I'd gotten nowhere because of it.

I live in England, so I should be good for time. As for skills, I'm learning C++ (everything up to templates level and some STL) and have been messing with Allegro in hopes of making my first, complete game. I have a few 'programmer designed' game designs that I'd love to be able to work on but really haven't learnt much about coding games yet. But yeah, that's me.

Edited by GKANG, 21 August 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#7 Tordin   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

It'd be great if I can join in with this, though I'm not sure what you mean by "rookie". Do you mean people who've been making (poor) games already?, people who're still learning how to code in general?

I like that you're not going to be writing code for people, just giving some hints and tips, since it's obviously important for people to work stuff out on their own. I actually had someone helping me make a game years ago (in GameMaker when I was a kid) and he did code a lot, which kinda lost me and I ended up feeling like I'd gotten nowhere because of it.

I live in England, so I should be good for time. As for skills, I'm learning C++ (everything up to templates level and some STL) and have been messing with Allegro in hopes of making my first, complete game. I have a few 'programmer designed' game designs that I'd love to be able to work on but really haven't learnt much about coding games yet. But yeah, that's me.

With rookie i mean who ever feels like a rookie. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS