• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Conventions in game programming I haven't learned yet

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Akashi   Members   -  Reputation: 268

0Likes

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

So while working on my simple game, I've been working around some things and just emulating what I've seen in other games before mine, and I'm content with that because it's literally run in command prompt. It looks clean and uses tried and true techniques. On the outside. I honestly have no idea what it's like on the inside. A lot of the basic things that you would need to program are things I just cobbled together and hoped I was doing it right. I wonder things like, how do you keep track of a bunch of independent environmental values, or if you've talked to specific people? Do you have variable arrays for all those things? How is dialogue text stored? Is it hard coded into the interactions of a character, or is there a text dump file stored in memory? How do I know where to access specific chunks of text, if so? How do I encrypt all that efficiently and hide them from being manipulated?

Just things that seem basic, like that. Most programming practice tends to be doing mundane stuff that just shows you know how to use logic, and with that, I've been able to throw together something that looks clean and works well. But how do the professionals do it?

Edited by StoneMask, 19 August 2012 - 02:26 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 larspensjo   Members   -  Reputation: 1557

2Likes

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

The question is too open to answer. You need to specify your requirements first, and then it is possible to find a design for that. Start with a few basic use cases, and develop the requirements from that.

It also depends on basic things. Like, is it a multi player game, are there conversations between NPCs and the player, or is it between players. Are NPCs expected to make decisions on what has been said, etc.
Current project: Ephenation.
Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

#3 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16387

2Likes

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

The best way to learn this stuff is self-discovery.

As you write your code, pay attention to the itchy sensation you get when something seems like it could be done more easily, flexibly, or simply. If you ever get a hunch - even a tiny one - that you could do something better with your code, pause for a while and think about options. If you can't come up with any improvements, that's a good time to as more specific questions about the exact situation you're facing.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS