• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Looking for a multimedia library

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 lride   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

I'm looking for a portable, free library that supports user input, sound, and windowing system.
I'm using OpenGL for graphcis
Any suggestions?

Edited by lride, 21 August 2012 - 10:51 PM.

An invisible text.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19025

2Likes

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

You didn't mention what language you're using, but assuming C or C++ you could take a look at Allegro, SDL, or SFML. All three provide the features you mentioned, are cross-platform, and can be easily used with OpenGL.

#3 TheVirtualDragon   Members   -  Reputation: 237

0Likes

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

I would recommend sfml. It is cross platform, has a clean and object orientated structure and is hardware accelerated by OpenGL. It also has bindings for other languages.
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.

#4 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3875

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

I would recommend sfml. It is cross platform, has a clean and object orientated structure and is hardware accelerated by OpenGL. It also has bindings for other languages.

The only thing you mentioned that is lacking from Allegro and SDL is the OO approach. So depending on what language the OP is using, that may or may not be a good thing. SFML also has networking. Allegro seems to have the more useful community support of the three, probably because it's been around for so much longer.

#5 nfries88   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

SDL is my personal favorite, but SFML is also a good library, especially if you are a strict C++ developer or a novice (though SDL is also good for novices).
Looking for paid or open-source C++ programming work. Been programming since 2005. No degree.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS