which IDE should i use for opengl?

Started by
20 comments, last by Bastian von Halem 11 years, 8 months ago
i have been using Dev C++ for all college assignments.... but when i use opengl, it gives me errors... there are some people who say that Dev C++ is a shitty IDE... so guys, which IDE is good for opengl? i heard Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 is good...
Advertisement

there are some people who say that Dev C++ is a shitty IDE

Absolutely, here's my explanation of why -- in it I recommend a few possible alternatives including Visual Studio, Code::Blocks and qtCreator. My personal recommendation would be the Visual Studio Express, but take a look at them all and choose whichever is most comfortable for you.

Note that you're not choosing an editor for OpenGL, you're choosing an editor for C++.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Switch to Visual Studio Express (if you are doing under Windows), as probbaly around 99% coders would answer. If multiplatform then probably Code::Blocks (althrough it is a bit lacking if you were already spoiled by VC)...
And yes, I join the bandwagon of "no Dev C++" (not that it is so absolutely terrible and you can't make a game with it, but there simply is no reason to use it nowadays).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Dev C++ is rubbish.

Also, code::blocks is not as bad as advertised, especially if you compile the latest source (very easy to do). If you are under windows, VS would probably be the best: but remember that it isn't exactly "lightweight".
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.

Dev C++ is rubbish.

Also, code::blocks is not as bad as advertised, especially if you compile the latest source (very easy to do). If you are under windows, VS would probably be the best: but remember that it isn't exactly "lightweight".

I agree, but just wanted to point out that you don't need to compile CodeBlocks nightly builds. They are available for download. CodeBlocks has in practice changed to a monthly release schedule.
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/
I highly recommend VS I have been using it since VS 2005. You can get spoiled by it as Acharis stated. Although I am not sure why you would get 2008 express when 2010 express is available for download. Just make sure when you start a new C++ project that you choose empty project, start from complete scratch so you are not trying to learn what files were just added to your project that actually weren't needed to start out.
I also suggest VC++ 2010... It is great on windows... the best I know...
But on other platforms (like Linux) I suggest to use QtCreator... It has a really good debugger... and the usability is awesome... but it feels a bit strange to use it for "normal" c++ code :)

By the way... when you make something big and multi platform. I suggest to use cmake or other build tools instead the internal project management of VC++ or qmake...
QMake is not bad but currently not really useful for non-qt development.

Regards
Ömercan
Reading, Reading, Reading... why do you read not more?
I have a blog: omercan1993.wordpress.com look there for more content
And I also do some art: omercan1993.deviantart.com
And whats about the Pear3DEngine? Never heard of it? Go and look!
Yeah, and currently I do this: SimuWorld

PS: Please look at this poll on my blog about scripting languages: A opinion poll about scripting language
I'd also recommend QTCreator for the Mac platform as well. Apple supports its own XCode but you may find it too different from the common kinds of IDE interfaces. QTCreator would be the most "VS-like" IDE I've come across for the Mac.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

I would vote for QtCreator, not just because of the IDE, but also because of Qt, which has OpenGL widgets available that make it a lot easier to create a window and create an OpenGL context with Core profile. While Visual Studio has a good debugger, it's C++ code editor is rather primitive compared to the alternatives, poor syntax highlighting and even under 2010 code completion is known to fail quite often. And the real-time syntax checking that is suppost to underline syntax errors in your code prior to compiling (like a spelling check) is horrible, I turned it off after 2 days because it reported so many false-positive errors. Netbeans and QtCreator are far superior to Visual Studio in this aspect, having used QtCreator for quite some time now I hardly see the syntax checking fail, and code completion works most of the time (only has some problem with templates sometimes, but I think they were fixing that) and updates really fast as well (with VS when I refactor some code I quite often get an intellisense popup that still contains the old parameters of a function).
Code::Blocks is also nice if you want to go the 100% free route.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement