By the end of this exercise, this is how my mechanics had changed from the typical MOBA:
- Reduced the number of lanes from 3 to 1
- Eliminated the 'jungle'
- Eliminated the upgrade systems (gold and exp)
- Reduced the multitude of champions to a single exemplar
- Changed the control scheme from LoLs ('qwer' attacks + mouse for targeting and movement) to typical top-down shooter controls (arrows key to move + a few other keys for attacks in the direction of movement)
- Forced the viewport to be centered on the player's champion (some MOBAs, like bloodline champions do this as well)
For me list went something like this:
- Two teams of players battle on a fixed map in real time.
- Each player controls a single avatar from a top down or isometric perspective.
- The combat consists primarily of dodging attacks and getting situational advantages through positioning.
- ??? (something in most MOBAs but not mine)
P.S. This is my first time posting and I read the first-timers post, but please let me know of any faux pas that I managed to still make. :-)