• Create Account

"Class descendant Class" selector in CSS

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18498

0Likes

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hey, I have two classes in CSS:
  • .table_hidden
  • .table_left_column

I can't get the CSS selector to work to match this.

The selector:
.table_hidden .table_left_column
{ vertical-align: top; color: red; }

The HTML:
<table class="table_hidden">
<tr><td align="center" colspan="2"><h2>Header</h2></td></tr>
<tr><td class="table_left_column">Stuff</td><td>Text</td></tr>
</table>

I'm expecting that, at the very least, the color of the text in the table should turn red - but it does not turn red.

Am I using the selector correctly?
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

1Likes

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Maybe
[source lang="css"]table.table_hidden > tr > td.table_left_column[/source]
? I believe it's something like that.

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 22 August 2012 - 06:29 PM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2786

1Likes

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

The selector looks correct.
Maybe you have another rule with a higher specificity that overwrites your selector?

What does firebug/whatever inspector you use show?

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18498

1Likes

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

</facepalm>

The CSS was working fine, but (being inline <style> CSS returned from a shortcode) WordPress was puking <p> and </p> every few lines, just to make sure the CSS wouldn't parse correctly. Posted Image

Which is weird, because I am 85% sure I checked the generated HTML as one of the first things I did to debug it.

Thanks anyway, and sorry for wasting your time.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#5 wicked357   Members   -  Reputation: 1158

1Likes

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

I dont know if you intended for this to happen but what I get is Stuff is red the rest isn't. If you were going for it all to be red you are missing a comma in your css.
So instead of .table_hidden .table_left_column put a , inbetween them. If you intended on just stuff being red then why have .table_hidden in there at all? Just .table_left_column will do just fine.

Edited by wicked357, 23 August 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18498

0Likes

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Yes, the intention was that just "Stuff" is red. The reason why I needed ".table_hidden .table_left_column", was because I also have ".table_normal .table_left_column" and ".table_nice .table_left_column" - it's deliberate. Excellent catch though!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS