• Create Account

Environment to learn shader programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 dAND3h   Members   -  Reputation: 214

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi, I learned the basics behind shader programming, with the vertex and pixel shaders, but what I want to do now is write my own shaders for practice. But, I want to know if there is an environment that is available where I can write my shader and see the results straight away. The way I did it before was using XNA, meaning I had to write all the code to draw a cube and things like that.

I guess I am just looking for a way to be able to practice my shader programming that will just focus on the shader part and not the setting up part.

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 CryZe   Members   -  Reputation: 768

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Try AMD RenderMonkey, it's really good:
http://developer.amd.com/archive/gpu/rendermonkey/pages/default.aspx

Edited by CryZe, 27 August 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#3 dAND3h   Members   -  Reputation: 214

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi thanks, unfortunately, I receive an error message when I try to run the .msi installer : "This installation package could not be opened etc.". I googled this error in relation to render monkey and didn't see any hits on the first few pages. Any idea?

#4 mikiex   Members   -  Reputation: 237

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

If you want to get a feeling for it I would start with just pixel shaders, see whats possible

So you could get rendermonkey / fxcomposer and just edit some of the examples and see what happens.

You could also try media player classic - the dx renderer allows you to use a built in shader editor and there are examples you can edit.

If you have a gfx with above ps3.0 run an upto date copy of Chrome browser. Try iq's Shader Toy
http://www.iquilezles.org/apps/shadertoy/
Although most of the examples are not surface shaders, so that could throw you a bit. But it shows you what is possible without rendering 3d models.
Have a go at live editing the shaders. (iq also has some examples using a live editor on youtube worth looking at)

Shader Toy is GLSL, if you prefer HLSL that is not a big deal because they are very similar, learning one you will be pretty much learning the other.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS