• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What term describes the following: "Camera following a moving object around"?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 575

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:32 AM

I'm looking for a term or programming jardon that describes the following passage:

A camera follows a moving object around. The object stays in the center of the camera, unless it reaches an obstacle or the edge of a map. It's like the camera in Starcraft 2, where the camera follows a moving unit around, and keeps panning at the same unit.

Is there a vocabulary / term / jardon for this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 TheVirtualDragon   Members   -  Reputation: 237

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

I don't know for sure, but could it be Motion Capture?

EDIT: Also, I think it is Jargon, not Jardon

Edited by TheVirtualDragon, 28 August 2012 - 02:09 AM.

What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.

#3 powly k   Members   -  Reputation: 653

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:47 AM

Yes, jargon. And no, there's no single term for that, probably the shortest way to put it is to pick an example like "zelda-like camera" or "sc2-like camera".

Motion capture is creating animations for models from live footage of an actor, not what tom_mai asked for, but still way cool ;)

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19030

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

I don't know that there's a specific term for that, but it sounds like an overhead "chase"-camera.

#5 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4913

1Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

I would call the "following around" simply "tracking", I think this is the professional word, too. It's what you'd call it when firing a missle at an airplane anyway ("target tracking").

The "blocked by obstacle or end of map" bit could be named "with physics simulation" or "with collision checking", if you will. Though I guess this kind of behaviour is just the "normal" behaviour one would expect from a camera, and it's kind of superfluous pointing it out. Few people own virtual cameras, they wouldn't assume that the camera (and the cameraman) in the game can walk through walls, because they can't.

Edited by samoth, 28 August 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#6 BCullis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1813

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

I've run across it many times as an "arcball" camera
Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too

#7 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5581

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Samoth got it, the term, at least in film, is tracking.

#8 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 575

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

But, "tracking" is more closely related to "A service logging the actions the user has done." Such as, "I created a tracking app." It may bring up mixed results. "Chase" on the other hand seems plausible enough. I'm just not sure.

At least, I have some answers. Thanks again!

Edited by tom_mai78101, 28 August 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#9 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 811

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Third person view?

#10 dimitri.adamou   Members   -  Reputation: 329

-2Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Snap

edit: downvotes for?

Edited by dimitri.adamou, 29 August 2012 - 03:41 AM.

#11 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9055

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

But, "tracking" is more closely related to "A service logging the actions the user has done." Such as, "I created a tracking app." It may bring up mixed results. "Chase" on the other hand seems plausible enough. I'm just not sure.

I don't really get the logic behind this, yes, the term has more than one meaning/use in different contexts, just like virtually all words, and logging services have little to nothing to do with cameras. Furthermore, "tracking" clearly emphasizes the "always looking directly at the target" aspect, less so by "chase", in my opinion. Could you explain your reasoning on this?

Otherwise, in addition to suggested names above, "centered camera" springs to mind.

Edited by Bacterius, 28 August 2012 - 03:14 PM.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS