Fast "particles" in particle system.

Started by
4 comments, last by Muzzy A 11 years, 7 months ago
Is it ok to create a big vertex_buffer (lets say 5000 or something) and then render lots of small triangles (so small it looks like a pixel). That way i can set which texture, color and alpha i want to create cool effects.

I am using Direct3d 9 version.

Is this solution ok for performance?
Advertisement
5000 bytes? or vertices? That is ridiculously small size for a VB.
Pixel sized triangles: bad for rasterizers, the edges will have to be renderer as many times as "touched" by the rasterizer.
Do they have to be rendered in order? If so, a lot of batches will be needed. Incredibly bad.

Is it ok for performance?
What you want to do can be made to work and to work fast, but there are other issues (non vb-related) that would cause issues.
I suggest further research.

Previously "Krohm"

If you want pixel-sized particles, you should use point-primitives instead of triangles.
you should read some topcis on bilboarding, it´s fast, looks good, and is easy to use!
"There will be major features. none to be thought of yet"

Is it ok to create a big vertex_buffer (lets say 5000 or something) and then render lots of small triangles (so small it looks like a pixel). That way i can set which texture, color and alpha i want to create cool effects.

I am using Direct3d 9 version.

Is this solution ok for performance?
From a performance standpoint, you haven't indicated where the vertices will be updated - on the CPU or the GPU? In either case, 5000 particles should be no problem for modern hardware.

In general, since you are asking about this it means that you haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet. I would recommend implementing it and seeing how it performs, tweaking, and just spending some time with the implementation so that you get a feel for how it works. That way, when you try your next implementation you will have a basis from which to build - and then you will be answering the questions here instead of posting them :)
particles on GPU all the way! Point Sprites! 500,000 particles!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement