• Create Account

GLSL Vertex Shader error

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Madd   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hello, I get an error while compiling my vertex shader. Here is the code for my shader:

/*
MaddEngine.vert
GLSL vertex shader used by Madd Engine
*/
void main()
{
  gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;
  gl_Position = gl_ProjectionMatrix * gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;
}

When I run my application, it outputs the InfoLog to a file, here it is:

Vertex info
-----------
(0) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected $end at token "<EOF>"
(0) : error C0501: type name expected at token "<null atom>"

The same error occurs even if I comment out the entire shader code. Does anyone know where the problem is?

P.S. The fragment shader works as it should, here is the code:

/*
MaddEngine.frag
GLSL fragment shader used by Madd Engine
*/
uniform sampler2D tex;
void main()
{
  vec4 texel = texture2D(tex, gl_TexCoord[0].st);
  gl_FragColor = gl_Color * texel;
}

Edited by Madd, 30 August 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Sponji   Members   -  Reputation: 1007

2Likes

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Is the loading code different for vertex shader? Feels like you have messed up something there.
Derp

#3 BitMaster   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3006

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Is it possible you have invalid characters in the file? Depending on the editor an invalid character can easily slip with a copy'n'paste or accidental hotkey. A lot of editors will then pick a suitable encoding to encode the undesired character and it will often be invisble to the naked eye then.
Have you tried explicitely forcing ANSI encoding on the file (for example in Notepad++ Encoding->Convert to ANSI)? If the problem is a rogue character it will usually show up in an obvious way (the not-in-font symbol or 'weird' symbols).

#4 Madd   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:40 AM

Here's the code for the loader:

[source lang="cpp"]void meEnableShaders(){ /* load the fragment shader */ char *frag_buffer, *vert_buffer; FILE *fp = fopen("MaddEngine.frag", "rb"); int frag_size; fseek(fp, 0, SEEK_END); frag_size = ftell(fp); fseek(fp, 0, SEEK_SET); frag_buffer = (char*)malloc(frag_size); fread(frag_buffer, 1, frag_size, fp); fclose(fp); /* load the vertex shader */ fp = fopen("MaddEngine.vert", "rb"); int vert_size; fseek(fp, 0, SEEK_END); vert_size = ftell(fp); vert_buffer = (char*)malloc(vert_size); fread(vert_buffer, 1, vert_size, fp); fclose(fp);#ifdef ARB_SHADER me_fragment_shader = glCreateShaderObjectARB(GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER_ARB); glShaderSourceARB(me_fragment_shader, 1, &frag_buffer, &frag_size); glCompileShaderARB(me_fragment_shader); me_vertex_shader = glCreateShaderObjectARB(GL_VERTEX_SHADER_ARB); glShaderSourceARB(me_vertex_shader, 1, &vert_buffer, &vert_size); glCompileShaderARB(me_vertex_shader); me_shader_program = glCreateProgramObjectARB(); glAttachObjectARB(me_shader_program, me_fragment_shader); glAttachObjectARB(me_shader_program, me_vertex_shader); glLinkProgramARB(me_shader_program); glUseProgramObjectARB(me_shader_program);#else me_fragment_shader = glCreateShader(GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER); glShaderSource(me_fragment_shader, 1, &frag_buffer, &frag_size); glCompileShader(me_fragment_shader); me_vertex_shader = glCreateShader(GL_VERTEX_SHADER); glShaderSource(me_vertex_shader, 1, &vert_buffer, &vert_size); glCompileShader(me_vertex_shader); me_shader_program = glCreateProgram(); glAttachShader(me_shader_program, me_fragment_shader); glAttachShader(me_shader_program, me_vertex_shader); glLinkProgram(me_shader_program); glUseProgram(me_shader_program);#endif free(frag_buffer); free(vert_buffer);};[/source]

It is compiled without the ARB_SHADER macro (so it uses the standard OpenGL functions).

I edit the files with gedit under Ubuntu, which uses UTF-8.

Edited by Madd, 31 August 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#5 Madd   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

I'm sorry, I just noticed the problem. I forgot to seek back to the start of the file after getting its size *facepalm*

#6 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9732

2Likes

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

After setting the stream to the end of the file and calling ::ftell(), you never set the stream back to the beginning of the file before you try to read it.
On the vertex shader.

L. Spiro

[EDIT]
I stopped reading as soon as I saw the problem. Even if it was just one last post with a single sentence explaining the solution.
[/EDIT]

Edited by L. Spiro, 31 August 2012 - 05:06 AM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#7 V-man   Members   -  Reputation: 797

0Likes

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:26 AM

Even if the problem has been found, it isn't a good idea to read a text file as binary because on some systems (Windows), end of lines are in the form of \r\n or was it \n\r.
It is better to open the file this way
FILE *fp = fopen("MaddEngine.frag", "r"); //changed the "rb" to "r"

and the library will automatically convert all the \r\n to \n (newlines).

and it is a good idea to NULL terminate the file string yourself.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS