• Create Account

Profit Motive: A Business RPG (Version 4.0 Is out now!)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

"A Business Adventure."

Posted Image

Game Demo:

Note that if you have AVG security it might think the game.exe is an untrusted program, but it is not Posted Image

Profit Motive Demo Version 4.0 (187MB)

Official Website

http://profitmotivegame.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPECIAL NEWS AND EVENTS - August 16th, 2012

The second Profit Motive Fan Art Contest has been announced on the RMVX boards!:

PROFIT MOTIVE FAN ART CONTEST #2

Good luck to all entrants.

See the winners from the previous fan art contest here:

BTW, some people entering the competition have asked for links to the concept art for reference, so here they are:

http://profitmotiveg...onceptart1.html

http://profitmotiveg...onceptart2.html

http://profitmotiveg...onceptart3.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Summary

Profit Motive is a modern day, corporate themed RPG. Players assume the role of Myron Meckler, a one-time executive of a major corporation who has been betrayed by his former supervisor and expelled from the company in dishonor. The game follows Myron as he strives to regain his power and position in the business world.

Players will start out as a small business owner surviving the wiles of unruly and unethical competition and grow into a mega conglomerate vying for power against rival companies in intense corporate warfare.

Key Game Features
  • Over the top battles featuring a unique Turn-Based Combat System.
  • The ability to hire key staff and gain the support of NPCs in the world who can be "Summoned"to your aid in battle.
  • 4 Stages of Business Development including: Lv.1) Small Business, Lv.2) Franchise, Lv.3) International Corporation, Lv.4) Mega Conglomeration. Each level introduces new gameplay mechanics and player abilities that add depth and strategy to the battles.
  • Corporate themed story world with lots of interesting character side stories and open-world missions that explore multiple aspects of running a business.
  • High quality background and sprite art.

Screen Shots:(Some tiles and sprites shown below are early WIP and will be replaced eventually)

Posted Image

Posted Image
see more Screen Shots in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Playtest Questionnaire:

If you have a few free moments to fill out the following questionnaire after plaything the game, we'd really appreciate it. We're looking to do whatever we have to in order to improve the quality of the design and the overall gameplay experience:

Profit Motive: Game Experience Questionnaire

Special Thanks to everyone who has sent in feedback so far! All your thoughtful comments and suggestions for improving the game are being taken to heart and acted upon Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Project Status and Updates

Version 4.0 Updates (August 14th, 2012)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what's new in this latest version:
  • All player suit graphics are in and now show up in battles.
  • Key Staff also now have different outfits that get unlocked based on leveling them up.
  • All placeholder character and NPC sprites have been replaced
  • The Profit Meter, Capital, and PP HUD visuals have been added (Yay! No more number boxes!)
  • A first pass has been done on all the tileart for Market Town's exterior (still not many interiors done yet...)
  • The dialogue for the first 3 missions of the game has been revised and edited so there are a lot less spelling errors now and better writing Posted Image
  • A first pass of most sound effects are in.
  • Massive amount of Bug Fixes both graphical and technical.
  • And finally, a new side-quest and Key Staff character and abilities has been added. Introducing the accountant Esper!:
    Posted Image
There are still issues with the passage settings and some areas, but nothing that should block game progression (save often!).
The next big update will come in December. We should have the location map and new interface for the battle HUD working as well as the revised intro and endings.

Bugs

Please report any bugs you find in the demo and I'll work on getting them fixed.
That's it really. The more feedback we can get at this stage the better.

Known Issues

There are quite a few bugs and polish issues that I'm aware of and will be addressing in the next few iterations of the demo. They are:
  • Passage settings are not set for a few swapped tilesets (i.e. Abandoned Market Town).
  • Some of the text in battles is placeholder and the AI is always showing you what they are thinking (which is just in there so that the battles are easier to debug during the development phase, they will eventually be removed).
Incoming Features

The Metagame
  • All NPCs will have Item Gifting or metagame interaction features.
  • Proper menu and interface will be developed so that players can track their progress across various aspects of their business.
The Openworld
  • More and interesting openworld events will be hooked up.
  • Current side missions will be completed and polished up.
  • The NPC Metagame will be expanded and finalized so almost every NPC has varied and interesting interactions.
Gameplay
  • Random and Infinite Battles will be added soon
  • The map will be fixed so that it works properly throughout the whole game.
  • All Battles will be gaining context and all of the placeholder "Attack #1", etc. will be removed. The AI will also no longer show you what they are thinking as you play, this is simply in there for debug purposes.
  • All of your choices in the dialogue branch will start to matter more and change the outcome of the story. You will also have better choices to make than what's currently been put in the demo.
  • 2-Player vs mode will be added to the final version of the demo.
The Visuals
  • More background tiles for Market Town and all the interiors will be coming soon
  • More 2D character art, sprites, and animations are on the way
  • The whole interface will be visual and all the debug boxes will be removed.

Additional Story, Character, and World Info

Spoiler

Credits
Spoiler

Support Bar

Copy and paste code in the spoiler:
Spoiler

Edited by Kulimar, 31 August 2012 - 12:38 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Some new art of one of the characters that will be featured in the revised Solace Reapmore Intro:

Posted Image

-Sage

#3 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:46 AM

Some new art. This time of the to faces of Vic:
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Sage

#4 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Some new art:
Posted Image
Niles will be the Marketer Key Staff you can hire in Version 5.0 of the game.

-Sage

#5 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Profit Motive Version 4.04 has been uploaded to the main website: http://profitmotivegame.com It includes a minor bug for a potential hang in the Insurance Dual Battle.

Thanks!

-Sage

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17262

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Very nice artwork!

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#7 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks!

-Sage

#8 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

NicoB has posted his latest video playthroughof Profit Motive - Part 4 (*Warning* There is some explicit language in the video):
http://www.youtube.com/user/NicoB7700

#9 Majestic_Mastermind   Members   -  Reputation: 215

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Wow..the artwork is mesmerizing..

#10 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thanks! If you do end up checking it out, do let us know what you think :)

BTW, Profit Motive Version 4.05 has been uploaded to the main website: http://profitmotivegame.com It includes some updated dialogue and minor passability bug fixes.

Thanks!

-Sage

#11 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

For anyone interested in still entering, just a reminder that there are just 3 more days before submissions close. You can see all of the current entries on our twitter stream here:

https://twitter.com/Profit_Motive

-Sage

#12 Thoughtzone   Members   -  Reputation: 104

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

First things first...

-Excellent informative post
-Great looking graphics
-Very nice looking website
-Pretty fast download

You got me excited to try the game before it was even done downloading, you've already impressed me without having played a second of your game.

As for the game;

I enjoyed it untill the first customer. The intro was good, all the sprites look great (reminds me of when I used to sprite years ago), the music and sound effects match everything well, but at the first customer after losing 5 times I lost interest. Might also be because I've got a 13 hour workday behind me but yeah...didn't see any other customers with a star above their head to engage, so I closed the game.

Some ideas/suggestions/etc:
-Before it started the window was black for a moment. You may want to put a "loading" message there.
-No other suggestions at the moment really. Looking forward to seeing how this game progresses and turns out.
ThoughtzoneContact: dennis [at] thoughtzone [dot] nl
For a list of services visit our website.

Temporary special for Gamedev members;
Free beta testing & thinktank service. We will test your game/software and come up with new features and improvements, All we want in return is a mention in the credits / on your website. Contact us at the above email if you'd like us to get to work for you.

#13 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback Thoughtzone!

Just one question, do you know why you were losing to the customer exactly? Was it difficulty understanding the mechanics? Or did something else happen?

Any information you can provide there will help us improve that battle to make sure no one else gets stuck that early on.

Thanks!

-Sage

#14 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

24 hours left to go before the Profit Motive Fan Art contest ends. You can see all of the current entries on our twitter stream here:

https://twitter.com/Profit_Motive

-~-

#15 Thoughtzone   Members   -  Reputation: 104

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Hey Sage,

Pretty sure it was just a lack of sleep. No worries, the game is solid so far. Makes me want to go back to doing pixelart again haha.

Best wishes,

Dennis
ThoughtzoneContact: dennis [at] thoughtzone [dot] nl
For a list of services visit our website.

Temporary special for Gamedev members;
Free beta testing & thinktank service. We will test your game/software and come up with new features and improvements, All we want in return is a mention in the credits / on your website. Contact us at the above email if you'd like us to get to work for you.

#16 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hey Sage,

Pretty sure it was just a lack of sleep. No worries, the game is solid so far. Makes me want to go back to doing pixelart again haha.

Best wishes,

Dennis

No worries. Thanks for the follow up!

-Sage

#17 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

The Profit Motive 4.0.8 demo is up on Steam's Greenlight "Concept" page! You can help by voting it up here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103392059&searchtext
-~-

#18 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

NicoB has posted his latest playthrough of Profit Motive w/ commentary:

-~-

#19 Kulimar   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Here's some new character art that will be featured in Profit Motive Version 5.0, scheduled to be released next month:

Posted Image

-Sage

Edited by Kulimar, 08 December 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS