• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

New to programming -- learning C#

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 skullfalker   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hello everyone, Im new to programming and game development all together but i have a hunger to start creating a game. Now first off I'd just like to say that yes i do understand it takes a great deal of hard work, dedication, learning, hours and frustration to create even a so-so game. With that said im not saying "I WANT TO MAKE MY OWN MMO!" No, i understand thats an impossibility. What I am saying is that I would like to eventually create an isometric rts (and yes i also understand that even that is a feat on its own). Secondly I just want you all to understand that I AM THE BIGGEST NOOB EVER! when it comes to anything programming and game dev. So lets asume i know absolutely nothing at all, but i am not completely incompetent, i can learn and i am very passionate about getting into the game dev comunity.

So with all that out of the way I just have a few questions if you all would be so kind to answer them.

I have read that learning C# is probably the best place to start as a beginner in game dev so i have chosen to do so. Is this a good or bad decision?

Now I see that there is a visual C#, C#, C#.Net and so on. My question is which one should i learn? Are they even different or essentially the same thing? Can someon break this down for me, in lamens terms please. Also i see there are different versions of C# like 4, 4.5 and 5. Do i need to concern myself with this at the moment or no?

What sorts of programs do i need to start game dev?

And last, how is a game structured? I know you need an engine, and somewhere code comes into play to handle more complex actions in the game.... and thats as far as my understanding goes at the moment :( I understand this is a broad question and may not pertain to the this topic but if someone could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it :)

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond,

skull

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19042

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Please note: This topic was split from the discussion "C# Learning Sources".

Part of one of the replies was relevant, so I'll just quote it here:

visual C# is just C# being developed within Visual Studio. C#.net I've NEVER seen referred to but one would assume that its C# on .net. I've never heard of C# 4.5 either, it went straight from 4 to 5 (which isn't actually released fully yet). C#5 will be fully released alongside .net 4.5 though which might be where your getting that from. For now C#4 is still the norm and theres plenty of C#3 code around. Your best off with 4, I think C#5 is backwards compatible with 4 anyway.
For now ignore games. You need to work on programming abilities first. This means only software required is Visual C# Express 2010 (A stripped down version of Visual Studio that only works with C# and is missing a few features that you won't need yet).
This is thread hijacking which I believe is against forum rules.

#3 MarekKnows.com   Members   -  Reputation: 669

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

You may be interested in heading on over to 3dbuzz.com, where you'll find some really good game development tutorials using C#

---
Free C++, OpenGL, and Game Development Video Tutorials @
www.MarekKnows.com
Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS